Hot water prob

When I turn my programmer to heat the water, nothing happens until I turn the heating demand on as well. Could it be a faulty cylinder stat? Thanks

It could be. But look at http://content.honeywell.com/uk/homes/systems.htm and let us know what type of system you have
Adam

I also meant to ask. Is this fault new? ie new fault or your new house? Has anything been changed on the heating?
Adam
Y-plan system. Just started happening. Thanks

Do you have access to a multimeter? You could check the tank stat with this, but it is more likely to be a buggered 3 port valve. http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/plumbing/plumbingpage2.html puts everything you need into words.
Adam
Thanks for your help.