Homebase Teak garden table - splinters

We had a teak garden table delivered at the weekend. 2 days later and after an afternoon of rain, the table has small splinters and has gone slightly rough. It is my understanding that Teak was not meant to splinter ? Surely there is no need to seal a table with teak oil when it's brand new ? It's homebase's top of the range "Winchester Teak". Has anyone else experienced this before ? Do homebase use a poor quality teak ?
Thanks in advance.
boarderX wrote:

boarderX
To maintain the smooth finish and golden brown color, you will need to sand your teak furniture regularly. To prolong the period of time needed between sandings, teak oil may also be applied.
Have a look at this link - this is where the above came from:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/classic-teak/teakcare.html
This is just a snippet.
Brian G

sand
between
Does'nt answer why the 'top of the range' has spintered so quickly I'd take it back for a full refund
--
Vass

On Tue, 17 May 2005 15:58:13 +0100, "Vass"
said:

Yep, and I don't think I will bother with it then. For the money, I don't expect to have to take up woodwork!
This has done me a favour!
Further update: I tracked down a commercial supplier that I think homebase use. Even if it's not the same supplier, they were very helpful regarding teak garden tables. I am going to wait for about a week then lighlty sand - hopefully it should then be fine. If not, I'll return it to homebase and consider another source. The supplier's advice was:
It is correct that our furniture comes untreated but all surfaces has been sanded and polished down to perfection. However Teak being a natural product it will change in the surface when it is being exposed to sun, wind and rain. The grains in the wood will rise a bit when it is exposed to rain the first time. This effect will increase again within a few days. If you want to you can give it a light sanding and it will become smooth again.
Important info regarding treatment with teak oil. When you receive your Teak furniture you should decide within the first week if you want to treat your furniture with teak oil or not. The teak quickly begins to develop a silvergray patina to protect the wood and when it has been exposed to sun, wind and rain for a few weeks it will not accept the oil treatment anymore. The oil will simply not apply to the wood anymore. I would like to specify that applying teak oil is only for cosmetic purposes. The oil has not effect on the durability of the wood. You can always bring your teak furniture back to its original state but it will take a lot of time and hard work. You can either sand it or use our product called Basic cleaner.

Interesting, thanks!
Vass wrote:

It is probably the grain raising on the untreated timber - a perfectly natural phenomenon that affects all timber that has got damp - hence the instructions to 'sand your teak furniture regularly' and if the supplier knows his business he will refuse to take it back.
The grain will also lift after the application of the first coat of any treatment of the timber as well.
Brian G