Gutter

The bane of my life is a dripping plastic gutter. In summer it expands and the rubber joint leaks. In winter it contracts by what must be 1/4 of an inch and almost pulls out of the rubber joint.

Anybody?

Mr Pounder

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Actually, it does it everytime the sun comes out and goes in, as does everyone else's. So the question is, why is yours falling apart, when gutters are designed to work this way?

It may have been installed incorrectly without paying attention to the insertion distances on the fittings. Maybe the strips need cleaning grit out, and then lubricate with silicone libricant, such as pushfit pipe libricant?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The distances in the seal which is clean are correct. Do you think that Vaseline would work?

Steve

Reply to
Mr Pounder

It might rot the rubber. Use silicone lubricant designed for use with PVC/rubber seals.

Also make sure the plastic on the underside is clean (and preferably not scratched) where it mates with the rubber.

Another thought - are there enough gutter supports to ensure that when the gutter expands, it stays flat and pushes into the fittings, rather than just sagging?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I'll try that one.

It is very clean, no gouges etc.

Loads of them, the job seems to have been very well done. Thanks for your help. Maybe the nightmares will go away now and I can get a life away from the dripping gutter. It has turned me to drink :-)

Steve

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Snip snip