Fridge repairs

Have not attempted to fix a fridge myself before - not sure but I think the thermostat has gone on my integrated fridge. It tries to turn on but there is a shorting sound and electrical burning smell and then it shuts off. It's a 1994 Hygena (MFI) - does anyone have experience repairing these? Not sure if it's worth the attempt, but integrated fridges seem to be twice the price of normal larder ones for some reason! Graham
GTS wrote:

It may be something dead simple, like a push on connector is making bad contact. The burning smell indicates damage has been done, so, if the above is the problem, then the connector and/or the thing connected to will probably need replacing.
Electrically, you don't get anything much simpler than a fridge.
You should be able to trace the origin of the burnt smell with a bit of careful sniffing.
As to whether you should make the attempt at repair - only you know how competent you are with repairing electrical goods. But, generally, if you have to ask, you can't afford (to do) it..
--
Sue

faulty if there is there is a burning smell. I am not an appliance repair man but I have some experience with motors.
Adam

I've had that happen in a fridge, but there's no smell as it's completely sealed inside the refrigerant system.
--
Andrew Gabriel