Fixing a broken bleed valve on a radiator

Hi,
Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to fix a radiator with a broken bleed valve - the small square bolt head has snapped off and I'd obviously prefer not to have to replace the radiator for that.
Can the shaft of the bolt be drilled out and replaced?
JC
John Clancy wrote:

A standard screw extractor of the right size should remove the old one, without much difficulty. I assume that it was broken whilst over-tightening it, trying to stop it weeping.
If the seating has been damaged or distorted, a replacement one may need some form of thread sealing, in order to prevent leaking. That may have to be replaced every time the radiator is bled. PTFE tape may be enough.
--
Sue

That should work, but a lot of radiators usually have the bleed screw in a seperate housing. ie a blakig plate at one end a a fitting to take the bleed screw at the other. It may be possible to replace the housing.
As for replacement, when my friend lost his bleed screw we could not find one to match in the wholesalers but we found one at the dumpit site.
Adam
On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 11:17:15 +0000, John Clancy wrote:

=================================If your radiator has a removable bleed valve (type which can be removed completely - usually located on outer end of radiator) then this tool will enable you remove it even if the small bleed screw is broken or seized:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId 35549&ts6877&id467
http://tinyurl.com/2nvm29
Note the square end with a small circular hole. There are other similar tools available which don't have this square end / circular hole which won't do this job so check before buying.
Obviously, you will have to drain or lock the radiator before doing the job.
Cic.
--
Using Ubuntu Linux

Hi,
Thanks for the help guys - I have ordered the radiator spanner from Screwfix (as well as a set of screw extractors just in case) and will let you know how I get on after they have arrived.
JC