FAQ: Want to ask a DIY question? Here's how. (V.16)

Page 1 of 2

X-No-Archive [Weekly posting - Archived once a month]
This is an introduction to the UK.D-I-Y newsgroup for new and experienced Do-It-Yourselfers in the United Kingdom. If you want help, or just want to find out more about a problem before calling in 'the professionals' you are welcome to 'pick our brains'.
There is a good chance your query, or a very similar one, has already been discussed and answered by the group, so please have a look at the Google uk.d-i-y archive, and our companion website for Frequently Asked Questions (the FAQ) before posting a question here.
The Google uk.d-i-y archive is available for searching at http://tinyurl.com/65kwq and the UK.D-I-Y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk /
The FAQ website gives background information about a diverse range of DIY topics, and guidance on formulating questions to post here that will most easily get the answers you need. For example, you should explain the background to the problem as well as asking your question.
The FAQ includes detailed information on common DIY problems in areas such as central heating, plumbing, electrical, decorating, security, plastering, and tools. It also has a reference section pointing to other useful sites and companies.
You should be aware that although replies in most cases are perfectly accurate and sensible, there are occasions when someone posts an inappropriate answer. In this case one of the regulars is very likely to post a correction, so it is always a good idea to check back later.
The FAQ makes clear that commercial advertising in the group is NOT welcome. Unsolicited advertising is considered abuse, and is likely to be reported as abuse to the advertiser's ISP. However, replies to specific questions which mention products sold by the person replying are acceptable. There is more information on commercial participation in the FAQ.
Spam!!!

Heliotrope Smith wrote:

Thanks for re-posting that. All good stuff. Douglas de Lacey
Phil Addison wrote:

WARNING....
Dodgy site this. Keep away.
Virus lurking here!!!

What virus?
Adam
[...]
snipped-for-privacy@diyfaq.org.uk wrote:

Beware!
Virus at this site.

Oh, don't be silly.
[...]

Phil Addison wrote:

You get virus at this site.
Be WARNED!

No you don't
Don't be silly.

It's probably an alias of Chris Bacon's.

and valued web resource and individual, sounds like abuse to me . . . .
ISP details, in case anyone is interested:
inetnum: 88.104.0.0 - 88.107.255.255 netname: DSL-TISCALI-UK descr: Tiscali UK Ltd descr: Milton Keynes descr: Dynamic DSL descr: ========================================================descr: Concerning abuse and spam ... mailto: snipped-for-privacy@uk.tiscali.com descr: e-mail to other addresses will not be dealt with. descr: ======================================================== Don't forget to include the message and header with any abuse report.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla

I'm really struggling to imagine which of Chas or Chris Bacon you might be referring to.
--
Andrew Gabriel

[...]
Phil Addison wrote:

I got virus at this site

Unfortunately it was not terminal. Piss off you waste of space, there is no virus on that web site.
Adam
spam.