Electrical question

Hello,
I have recently bought and installed a ceiling fan which also has a light attatched to it. When I came to fit it I was a bit unsure of how the wiring went because there wasn't just the red and black and Earth wire to connect but 3 red wires 3 black wires and an earth wire that hung from the ceiling. Looking at the old light fitting and the wiring to it, the 3 red wires were all in the same housing so I joined all these together and taped them up. The 3 remaining Black wires I wired up as follows, 1 thin Black wire went in the Neutral connection and the other thin Black wire and the other Black wire with a thick flex to it I wired up to the live terminal. The light and fan seem to work as it should do etc... but upon leaving it running for a while the other night there was a strong fishy smell coming from it and I was wondering if I had wired it up correctly? I have taken the fan back off and looked for something burning but cannot see anything.
Can anyone tell me if I have wired it up wrongly or correctly please?
Thanks.

http://www.userview.co.uk/loop1.html
tells you how to wire up the light. It looks like you have reversed switched live and neutral but that should not cause a fishy smell.
How about wiring the fan to a plug with a 3 amp fuse and giving it a test run to see if it the fan that smelt.
Adam

When you say "so I joined all these together and taped them up" I hope that you used a screw connector of some description and didn't just twist them together and cover with tape! If yes that may be why there is a smell.
Peter
the fishy -dead rat smell- indicates overheating of the plastic components near the wires which are getting too hot.