Electrical question

Hello,

I have recently bought and installed a ceiling fan which also has a light attatched to it. When I came to fit it I was a bit unsure of how the wiring went because there wasn't just the red and black and Earth wire to connect but 3 red wires 3 black wires and an earth wire that hung from the ceiling. Looking at the old light fitting and the wiring to it, the 3 red wires were all in the same housing so I joined all these together and taped them up. The 3 remaining Black wires I wired up as follows, 1 thin Black wire went in the Neutral connection and the other thin Black wire and the other Black wire with a thick flex to it I wired up to the live terminal. The light and fan seem to work as it should do etc... but upon leaving it running for a while the other night there was a strong fishy smell coming from it and I was wondering if I had wired it up correctly? I have taken the fan back off and looked for something burning but cannot see anything.

Can anyone tell me if I have wired it up wrongly or correctly please?

Thanks.

Reply to
John

tells you how to wire up the light. It looks like you have reversed switched live and neutral but that should not cause a fishy smell.

How about wiring the fan to a plug with a 3 amp fuse and giving it a test run to see if it the fan that smelt.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

When you say "so I joined all these together and taped them up" I hope that you used a screw connector of some description and didn't just twist them together and cover with tape! If yes that may be why there is a smell.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Reply to