electric sockets

Edwardian house, 3 pin electric sockets installed ages ago.
I want to install new ones and understand there is a min distance from floor.
Can anyone advise?
Thanks
Colin
Colin Jackson wrote:

A quick Google search gave:
"The building regulations ( Not Scotland) state that switches and sockets in houses should be installed in a way that persons with limited reach can use them easily.
The suggested heights are, for socket outlets, no lower than 450mm from the floor...
Unless the house is specifically designed for a person with limited reach these requirements do not apply in garages and kitchens."
Note that that is a *suggested* minimum height.
I have large numbers of sockets flush with the floor. It was much easier to do it that way and the house was build around 1680 - sockets in the wall would look out of place.
--
Sue

Are these sockets upside down? If not, how do you get a plug with the cable jutting out of the bottom into one? I occasionally spend a holiday in a house where the sockets are about an inch from the floor and its a heck of a job to use some of them.
Rob Graham
Rob graham wrote:

Sorry, what I wrote was ambiguous. The sockets are in the floor. Try Screwfix "Floor Sockets & Accessories". They have covers to keep dust and dirt out and are on an earth leakage trip, just in case of spills. I put far more in than is ever going to be needed, but I hate trailing wires - and I got an excellent quantity discount. ;)
(For the ground floor, wiring was a doddle, as I have access to the underside of the floors from the cellars, everywhere but the kitchen - a lot easier than trying to channel out granite walls)
I know what you mean about ones too low on the wall, though. You can get multi-way adapters with a socket in the top that may help...
--
Sue

This is Part M of the building regs. It doesn't apply to an Edwardian house. I regard a height of 450mm as dangerous -- it creates a nasty trip hazard from a trailing flex which is significantly worse than with sockets traditionally mounted nearer the floor.
--
Andrew Gabriel
Thanks for the info.
writes:

Colin Jackson wrote:

Many of those even with *very* limited mobility would still rather have the sockets /look right/ and accept a fair bit more difficulty in using them as a result. After all, you look at them day in, day out - but have to plug or unplug something far less frequently.
--
Sue

Nope. I put the sockets where they are handy for me. I have 4 way extension blocks into the original sockets in this room and apart from 1 block all the rest are mounted to the wall at about hip height. When you feel pain in bending you will want the same.

Alang wrote:

I should have added, YMMV. ;)
Women possibly will put up with more, for appearance sake.
--
Sue

NIME. They whinge at the slightest discomfort. Can't get near the fire for wife, daughter and collie bitch.

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 18:47:15 +0100, "Colin Jackson" <cojack6ATbtinternetDOTcom> wrote:>Edwardian house, 3 pin electric sockets installed ages ago.

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/socketheight.htm
But frankly it's your damn house. Put them where it's convenient for you. :))

You can put sockets and light switches where you want, height regs only apply to new build.