drilling in wall tiles, how to?

Just tiled my bathroom but need to add some fittings, whats the best (safest) way to drill into tiles so that they dont crack?
thanks

You can get a special drill:
http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=tile+drill
but in all honesty, I use an ordinary extremely small masonry bit, then a larger it of the size required.
First I put masking tape on tile and then mark where I want hole to be. I then put drill on slow rotation and introduce the masonry bit to the marked area. Gently drill the hole and then enlarge to required size.
Never had a tile shatter on me. YET !
--
the_constructor

Ditto - but do make sure you use a sharp (i.e. new) bit. My box of bits contains plenty of old blunt ones (cos like us all, I don't tend to chuck things out...)
--
Martin

[Remove barrier to reply]
Thanks Martin that worked a treat.

S S wrote:

Use a drill bit like this http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId 37685&ts946&id&900
They have a sharper point than a normal masonry drill. If you position the point where you want the hole and apply firm pressure (drill not on) you will hear a sort of quiet 'crunch' which is the sharp point breaking the surface of the tile. This stops the bit slipping.
Drill the tile without hammer until the bit goes through the tile. Use a plug like these http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts 278&id868 which don't have a lip around the top & drill your hole so the plug is below tile level - this way the expansion of the plug can't crack the tile.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman