Domestic wiring

OK, new rules say I should use metal boxes and rubber grommets
Can I cut channels horizontally and vertically, lay cable and plaster over ? or do we have to use metal sleeves, covers, trunking ?
anything else ?
thanks
--
Vass

Can't think of any changes to rules in this area, since probably around 1960.

Yes, providing the runs are only vertical and horizontal from visible wiring accessories, or run close to the corner between two walls or the wall and the ceiling.

I would suggest using oval trunking, as it means you can easily thread a new wire through if necessary, but it's not mandatory. Earthed metal conduit is required for any cable runs whose route doesn't conform to the rules above, unless it is buried more than 2" behind all wall surfaces.
--
Andrew Gabriel

writes:

But not from sockets to sockets which are just above the skirting. .

It should be mandatory for wall lights. You know that the existing cable will not long enough when you change them later (for HWMBO) and that little extra effort now will pay off later.
Adam
writes:

So my ring coming accross the ceiling will have do go down to a socket back up to the ceiling accross and down again to the next etc etc thats loads of cable and an increase in costs who can't I just go horizontal ?
--
Vass

I don't have the regs on me to check, but I think you are wrong. Horizontal wiring between these visible wiring accessories would be permitted. Running a recessed wire at skirting level which is not between visible wiring accessories would not be permitted.
--
Andrew Gabriel

writes:

I think I may agree with that. It is the way the OSG shows the picture of permitted cable routes that suggests otherwise (re the picture on page 53)
Adam
In kitchens I believe they have run down under the work surface then back up to the next socket. Its a rule that professionals use ie wire always vertically up or down from socket. then you cant go wrong. MikeS