design idea needed for basement

hello,
I am finishing a basement, and I am at the stage where I need to choose texture and colors... however, I am completly chalenged in these areas (read worthless)...
the basement is around 350 ft², in a weired shape, with only 2 window, so it does not get a lot of light. In addition, they are 3 different floor levels (from 8ft to 7ft depending) with heating piupes and beams overhead. there is a bathroom in the top right corner and a "block" in the middle (where there is the base of the cheminy, hot watter heater, 1 closet and a "shrine"). there is one area with has red brick walls and one with 1/2 wall height in wood.
(here is a rough idea of what it looks like)
XXXXXX XXXXXX XXXXXX XXXXXX XXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX______XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX______XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX______XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
you can also have a look at the video that I took at: http://hpmad.homeip.net/clip1.avi http://hpmad.homeip.net/clip2.avi http://hpmad.homeip.net/clip3.avi (loading is not fast as I have a slow connection, but heys, it's better than nothing)...
basically, I am looking at ideas of what to do next, especially: - colors that I can use - what type of texture to put on the walls (among other things to hide the bad drywalling job I did) - what to do with the heating pipes (paint them? same color than the walls? texture them....)
thanks, Cyrille
Add pictures here
✖

Hi Cyrille
The most important question is - What do you want to use it for?
If it's a general utility/hobby area, then nice and bright with a hard wearing floor. I'd paint the walls with bright white vinyl silk emulsion and lay studded rubber tiles on the floor. They cost about 40 pounds per sq metre, which is why I didn't use them in my cellar conversion, but they look great.
http://www.therubberflooringcompany.co.uk/retail/retail.htm
Use some clear sealant on the exposed bricks.
Any chance of installing recessed halogen downlighters? They make the ceiling look higher.
Just some thoughts
Alistair
Add pictures here
✖