Could Someone Possibly Direct In Right Direction Please ?

Page 3 of 4

Most SCARTs output RGB, however it won't work with most VGA monitors. The line frequency for TVs is about half of what VGA expects. Most VGA monitors will just ignore the signal, some old ones might fry.

I've never come across a Freeview box that doesn't provide RGB. Nor have I seen one with component. But regardless of that modern monitors don't work with TV signals.
--
*I see you've set aside this special time to humiliate yourself in public

On 17/11/2010 21:44, David Robinson wrote:

More to the point, if you have one of the rare true multisync VGA monitors, you may have a fighting chance...
--
Cheers,

John.

I dare say there are other options but from the reviews at that link, that cable is a con.
OP might do better to look the other way and get a usb tuner for the pc: http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=usb+tv+tuner&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a
Rambo wrote:

not without a black box to do the conversion, results might be flickery/juddery
They used to be available from Maplin and a handful of others, but all seem to be discontinued, unless you can find a 2nd hand one going cheap probably not worth it.

Won't work.
On 17/11/2010 21:19, the_constructor wrote:

Er, nope - unless the PC monitor has hidden TV sync ability (make & model please?) it's not going to rock with TV scan rates.
There are TV to VGA scan converters out there. Cost around 50 Quid.
A better idea ...
Bin the freeview box and get one of these. Should sort you out and also allow recordings to USB :)           Mini TV Digital DVB-T VGA AV Freeview Receiver Box USB 20.99 post free from Hong Kong http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/250637123072
If it works as advertised ...
--
Adrian C

I wonder how well it works? Here is another link:
http://shenzhenwinsource.en.made-in-china.com/product/OoJmqdExASkZ/China-DVB-T-TV-and-LCD-Box-DVB-T-Tuner-WS-7004-.html
--
Michael Chare

the_constructor wrote:

Take a note of the LCD panel's model number (NOT the monitor, the LCD panel itself) and change the controller board for one of these:
http://bit.ly/aQGCGZ
You may also need a SCART to comp/left/right adaptor.
--
Radio glossary #25
APRS: A method of making 2m unusable for anyone in the local area by
Chronos wrote:

Apologies for replying to myself. To the OP: Since you have now posted the actual specs of your monitor, this isn't suitable for 19" panels. Please disregard. You may want to get in touch with that seller and ask if they do have something suitable, though.
--
Radio glossary #27
RSGB: A book publishing company who are trying desperately to become

Go down to the local recycle centre. They will have a skip full of CRT televisions. 90% in working order, people are going out and buying flatscreen TVs. If they won't let you in the skip hang about and intercept someone. OR. Advertise for a TV on your local freecycle website.
I am the group owner of a recycle group and have tried that but to date, not received any replies. Thanks for the advice though. As for going to the tip and getting one, unfortunately, I don't think that I would be able to carry it on my mobility scooter

There is a notice at our local council recycling centre saying that anyone caught taking things away from the centre will be prosecuted for theft.
--
Walt Davidson Email: g3nyy @despammed.com

Which is why you hang around on public land just outside the gate, or else talk to the other punters BEFORE they have removed the goods from the back of their cars.
Walt Davidson wrote:

as you don't take anything they want, they will magically turn a blind eye when they know you.

Computer monitors won't work at TV resolution and refresh rates these days. They need a convertor box to do so - and these ain't cheap for a half decent one. However, you can get TVs that will accept a computer signal.
--
*Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.*

Well I would just like to thank everyone for their comments on this topic. It is always refreshing to start a topic and have so many participate. Looks like I shall have to hunt around for a small portable TV instead of using the PC monitor. Thanks everyone Kindest regards,
Jim

I'd say a 'small portable TV' is less likely to have a VGA input. Keep an eye on CPC, Aldi, etc for suitable ones at a good price.
I have a 19" DGM bought from CPC for a bargain price - about the same as a PC monitor - which lives above the workbench. Fed off a VGA DA with the computer output - handy for circuit diagrams etc. Or as a TV, or test monitor when fixing things. It was cheap because it only has an analogue tuner. But works OK otherwise.
--
*Show me a piano falling down a mine shaft and I'll show you A-flat miner*

On 20/11/2010 in message

There's one recently posted in uk.adverts.computer, 50 asking price, has Freeview and takes a variety of inputs.
--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.
On 20/11/2010 14:48, Jeff Gaines wrote:

If you don't mind having a CRT they regularly appear on Freegle / Freecycle.
http://www.ilovefreegle.org / http://www.uk.freecycle.org /
For nothing.
Andy

A CRT TV with a VGA input?
--
*Remember: First you pillage, then you burn.