Changing a garage into a workshop.

I'm thinking about changing existing garage (which is never used as a garage) into a workshop. The existing steel door is bent and the wire on the one side is broken so I intend to replace it with a stud wall and a 3ft wide door. With the garage door open and propped, and if I cut through the remaining wire will the spring unwind within it's steel box without doing damage or is it too dangerous to DIY it in this manner.

Don

Reply to
Donwill

Possibly Ok but only you can tell from the detail of your door design. Try feeling how much tension is in the wire in the open position.

With regard to the door size, I've fitted a door and half to my last two workshops which helps a lot with getting machinery in and out. A removeable threshold, which I don't have, will be used if there is a next time. All depends if you are going to have 'serious' machinery in your workshop.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Thanks for that Bob, I've found some info on the net

will help when I get round to it. Regarding the size of door, I think your idea of a door and a half is a good one. I have aspirations to have a Myford Ml7 or super 7 and hopefully a small vertical miller..I retired some 15 yrs ago and I miss having access to machine tools to elegantly solve the odd problem or two. I used to work in a research establishment and still have an interest in instrumentation etc.

Regards Don

Reply to
Donwill

Don, I know of am ML7 that has been restored to a very high standard that is for sale. I have no contact with the vendor other than reading of it in another forum. Mail me bobdotminchinatntlworlddotcom if you want to know more. You'll need that door and half to get the Bridgy in when the time comes!!

Bob who has also just retired from a research establishment!

Reply to
Bob Minchin