Cavity insulation?

I would like to have the cavities in our external walls filled with insulation. The problem is I have been told by an insulation surveyor that as the outer skin is natural stone then the inside face will be too rough to allow the insulation to spread fully. However the surveyor did tell me that he thought there was another method that could be used, but his company don't offer it. Have any of you guys heard of such a thing?
Mike

Try another installer. My late Grandads house was stone and he had cavity wall insulation fitted.
See the house below
<http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en-GB&ie=UTF8&q=silkstone&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=&ei=QKoCTJywCILy0gSjrK3MAw&ved D8QtgMwAw&hnear=Silkstone,+Barnsley,+South+Yorkshire,+United+Kingdom&llS.552534,-1.561764&spn=0,0.006856&z&layer=c&cbllS.551602,-1.562098&panoid=xiwKjt0ejFqhWwFHEVyHzA&cbp,46.72,,0,11.48>
with the branch that the camera hit:-)
HTH
Adam

<http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en-GB&ie=UTF8&q=silkstone&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=&ei=QKoCTJywCILy0gSjrK3MAw&ved D8QtgMwAw&hnear=Silkstone,+Barnsley,+South+Yorkshire,+United+Kingdom&llS.552534,-1.561764&spn=0,0.006856&z&layer=c&cbllS.551602,-1.562098&panoid=xiwKjt0ejFqhWwFHEVyHzA&cbp,46.72,,0,11.48>
Thanks Adam, do you know what material was used? The surveyor that called told me their material was not suitable as it does not spread due to the rough interior surface of our outer stone wall. This he said would lead to gaps which in turn create cold spots and condensation.
Mike

No idea, sorry. And I cannot ask him now:-(
Have you tried asking on uk.d-i-y as I know that some regular posters on there used to install cavity wall insulation.
Best I can do mate
Adam
It depends on the exact construction of your wall, it's unusual to have random stone as the outer leaf as building control in England will seldom allow it simply because it doesn't allow penetrating water to run harmlessly down the cavity. Even if the stone is dressed on the cavity side I wouldn't have though that cavity insulation would be a good idea as any water passing through either the stone or the mortar will then have a bridging path to the inner leaf which may cause damp problems. Maybe it's possible to line the exterior walls with Thermaline wallboard as an alternative?
AJ
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/diy/Cavity-insulation-22606-.htm jim5961 wrote:
AJH wrote:

------------------------------------- /^-----^\ V o o V | Y | \ Q / / - \ | \ | \ ) || (___\===

Where did this come from? I posted that question back in May. Still looking for a solution mind.
Mike
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/diy/Cavity-insulation-22606-.htm jim5961 wrote: this is a common problem in England and on ewhich I am looking at now oofor my house. It is possible to pipe in insulation material. see www.planetinsulation.co.uk for further details. AJH wrote:

On 10/11/2010 14:44, jim5961 wrote:

Hum.. I bet some of you don't realise that you're using usenet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet
That website seems to be copying our posts off to a website. I hope you aren't paying, because it ought to be free!
Andy

Or at least up to date:-)
--
Adam