Building regs and DIY - Petition on no 10 web site

Page 1 of 2

Spotted this - obviously of interest to DIY'ers. (and anyone who just hates the nanny state in general).
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/deregulateDIY/
Chris

Typical incompetent confusion between planning and building control.
Jim A
chris_at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

Done!
Happy Christmas to all.
Steve.
Steve wrote:

Ditto
Tim

Same here
(but with mixed feelings - there are a number of dangerous incompetents out there - but then they wouldn't pay any attention to such things anyway)
--
geoff

chris_at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

I cant see it happening, governments look to increase control to push people into unwanted spends, they dont normally move in the opposite direction. Especially not when theres a safety excuse or real reason, both of which there would be in this case.
Need a more well thought through petition.
NT
snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

What is happening, with the Building Regulations, is that Local/Central Government is moving towards a system of 'self-certification'. In doing so, it's shifting the responsibility for compliance-checking away from 'over-stretched' Council's.
Just my twopenny worth
Bypass wrote:

Who ends up certifying, householder or a professional they engage? The game is to get people to give as much money to the wealthier sectors of society as poss, and since this also lines up with safety issues in this case, both real and imagined, this approach fits normal government practice like a glove.
NT
On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 12:47:51 +0000, a particular chimpanzee named

If only...
What happens is that Councils spend time chasing certificates rather than looking after real work.
--
Hugo Nebula

Much too long.
"Governments look to increase control."
There. That's better.
--
http://www.strike-the-root.com /
Huge wrote:

Still superfluous words.
Take your pick from: "Governments increase" or "Governments control"
Owain
snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

Some sympathy with both points, but anything which resists the encroaching red-tape is worth a try.
snipped-for-privacy@care2.com submitted this idea :

Agreed and a facility to insert individual comments to the signature.
--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Don't be silly. I wouldn't trust some builders to do stuff without building regulations approval, certainly not most DIYers. Its all very well saying that (eg.) an opening needs a lintel but who is going to check?
dennis@home wrote:

Would you, for example, trust a builder to move a wash hand basin and amend the waste pipe to suit? Yes, I would think so. Well, that task requires Building Regulations approval.
I think you can find a valid point to suit both sides of any argument.

Not acording to the head of building control who happens to be my neigbour it doesn't. It may have to meet water byelaws but its not inspected unless you dig underground drains.
Mind you he also told me not to bother with part UP either as it was just too much work for them to cope with. ;-)

A year or so back, I asked some colleagues what sort of questions solicitors had asked about conformance to building regs when they were selling their houses. For that sample size of just two, the only building regs the solicitors were interested in checking up on were structural alterations, and underground drainage alterations. There were no questions about replacement windows, boilers, etc. I don't know if this is the norm or not.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I think you'll find that there have been some significant amendments to the BR's within the past year. Revisions to the Approved Documents typically come into effect on the 1 April.
Bypass wrote:

Ah! April Fools day.
You don't score any points to see that the fools are us :-(
Dave

The buyers of both the houses that I have sold since the window rules changed have asked me to supply the relevent details (with certificates if necessary) about my double glazing (the second also asked me if I had ever claimed on the warranty).
The one which I sold after the electricity rules changed did not ask about this.
tim