blocked drain

Hi
I have just had a storm drain cleared that runs from my driveway into a council owned storm drain that empties into a river. My section of pipe runs under some shrubs and it is possible that the join has failed allowing roots to grow inside the pipe. The guy has cleared the roots for now but tells me they will grow back again in a short while and block the drain again. His answer is to get a camera inside and resleave the pipe.
I have just paid this firm 350 for the privilege of temporarily unblocking a drain, is there another way? I mean, can't I put some weed killer down the drain every now and then? are the council responsible for the failed join? (they built their drain after mine - before then it ran into an open ditch)
regards
Charlie

Definitely not. It'll run into the river and maybe kill fish and you'll be up by short and curlies.
are the council responsible for the failed join?
I think if you try telling them that you won't get very far. Forget the camera and all that rubbish. Best thing is to hire a small digger and pull up the drain and relay it with new pipes. If you don't do this you'll have endless problems. The 350 you paid to have the drain cleared would have gone a long way to fund this.
If you've never laid a drain before, it's dead easy and you're in the right group for help.
Rob Graham
Thanks rob. No, I have never laid a drain, but I will sure be back here for some more help. Thanks
charlie