Blackened wood cure?

I have an outside letterbox which needs re-varnishing. Where the varnish has been weathered off the wood has gone a bit black - presumably with fungal attack. Has anyone any advice for me as to how to remove this staining before revarnishing? Sanding it off is not an option because it will be too deep, although a light surface sanding will take place anyway.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Depends on the species of the wood, and what has actually caused the blackening. If it is fungal atack you have got problems of a different sort, some woods "spalt" naturally, and others under a fungal action to become quite attractive. If its oak, that blackens on contact with iron, amongst other things, you cannot be definative without inspection, and even then not always.

For the record, and perhaps worth trying, the old method of removing stains was oxalic acid, if you can persuade the chemist t let you have an ounce or so. I think this is one that the law says you cant have now, and its years since i has or used any.

You can buy wood bleaches from the old fashioned pain shops as well.

Cheers John

Reply to
John

The days have largely gone when pharmacists bought ingredients to mix their own "extemporaneous" products.

Reply to
Graham

This is a problem suffered by wooden boat owners quite a bit. Sometimes sanding back and then using ordinary household bleach will lighten the colour enough, if not you just have to varnish over it.

The best, but most unhelpful, suggestion is not to let it happen in the first place by regular sanding and varnishing to stop water ingress to the wood. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Rob,

Liberon sell a Wood Bleacher

125ml £3.80, or was last Summer when I bought some Sales No for local stockist - 01797 367555

Regards

Colin

Reply to
cojack