Artex containing asbestos

I've heard lots of conflicting information on the presence (or not) of white asbestos as a bulking agent in Artex until relatively recently i.e. within the last 20 years. The view seems to be the date at which it can be guaranteed it won't be present doesn't seem to be agreed on, as it was mixed locally by whoever applied it.
I want to install some downlights which will involve a little bit of drilling work and I'd prefer to have it tested if possible as this house may well be just old enough to be affected. The dillemma is companies undertaking such work appear to be the suited/respirated brigade geared up to major works on anything up to the more dangerous types. All I need is a sample tested from a disk which was cut out for a extractor fan and left in the loft, but can't seem to find a lab who would deal direct.
Best I have found was a DIY sample collection kit priced at around 100 (c/w the aformentioned suit, masks, dust sheets, pre-paid enveloping for sending samples off to a lab etc.). It's a bit overkill since I have the sample already but is probably cheaper then calling someone in.
Any ideas? TIA

http://www.asbestoswatchdog.co.uk/help.html will test a sample for about twenty pounds.
Regards.
On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 10:49:03 +0000 (UTC), "Midge"

It's really nothing to worry about. Just wear a decent mask when you work on it. There must be millions of tons of the stuff on ceilings across the country being worked on every day.

Spray it with a water mister to dampen the area, so no artex dust comes off. Wash the cutting tool under a tap to wash off the artex before it dries out.
--
Andrew Gabriel

writes:

Dave
[fixed up broken posting]

No.
--
Andrew Gabriel

All - thanks for your helpful postings. I think this has given me enough to work with.
Midge