Apron flashing

I'm fitting apron flashing to my lean to roof and I'm assuming the lead needs to be bent down 50mm or so over the side of the tile to cover the tile/brick join. The problem is when I come to the edge I'm having trouble bending the lead down over the side of the tile as it's buckling the lead and pulling the top edge out of the brickwork. I've searched the web and all info I can find shows the lead cut flush with the tile side with no overhang at all, but looking at other roof in my area all of them have the overhang I'm after. Where am I going wrong?

I have never done anything with Lead in the past, but watching several roofers, they always apply heat from a blow lamp. Hope this helps. -- the_constructor
size=2><FONT face=Arial>...<BR>&gt; &gt; I'm fitting apron flashing to my lean to roof and I'm assuming the lead<BR>&gt; &gt; needs to be bent down 50mm or so over the side of the tile to cover the<BR>&gt; &gt; tile/brick join. The problem is when I come to the edge I'm having<BR>trouble<BR>&gt; &gt; bending the lead down over the side of the tile as it's buckling the<BR>lead<BR>&gt; &gt; and pulling the top edge out of the brickwork. I've searched the web and<BR>&gt; &gt; all info I can find shows the lead cut flush with the tile side with no<BR>&gt; &gt; overhang at all, but looking at other roof in my area all of them have<BR>the<BR>&gt; &gt; overhang I'm after. Where am I going wrong?<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; I have never done anything with Lead in the past, but watching several<BR>&gt; roofers, they always apply heat from a blow lamp. Hope this helps.<BR>&gt; --<BR>&gt; the_constructor<BR></FONT><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=5>No way use heat,&nbsp; It'll only split.<BR></FONT><BR>The brick joint should be taken out to a depth of 25 mm<BR>Code 4 Lead is used with a 25mm bend with a drop of 150mm with 100m lap onto.<BR>the roof tiles. When the Lead is bent up, put the 25 mm edge into the brick joint, with the overhang&nbsp;required,&nbsp; &nbsp;by the way the length of each piece should be no longer than 1.5m.</FONT></FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Cut some 150mm x 19mm strips of lead ,&nbsp; Roll each one of theses from the end and then flatten one end into a wedge. Put the wedge end into the brick joint in the middle of the lead length.&nbsp; With a plugging or joint chisel and a lump hammer tap the wedge into the brick joint until it is solid and tight and the wedge is below the brick face. Put a wedge at intervals of about 300mm. Keep about 200mm from the over lap end of the next piece.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>When it comes to dressing the lead down on the verge or gable. if you've never done this before its a little difficult.&nbsp; Where the overhang passes beyond the wall this can be cut back from where it leaves the brick joint, leave about 12mm sticking out and cut diagonal to the overhang. Bend the overhang over the tile on the verge or gable. Then with a plumbers cone mallet or wood hammer shaft gently tap the diagonal piece over and the wall piece back to the wall on the vertical. If it starts to kink hold a piece of timber under the lead as you tap it down. Try a small piece of lead about 400mm long first. When you are satisfied just add another length on, this way&nbsp;you wont waste time and lead.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Its easier to do than explain, hope it helps</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Keith.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>&nbsp;<BR><BR></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=