Any mould experts out there?

For the last six months my friend has been hearing water gushing noises from next door's property when they have their central heating on. The noises stop when the heating is turned off. The immersion heater in next door's property is directly opposite the bedroom in which the noises can be heard.
Unfortunately my friend has now discovered mould on the skirting boards growing up the wall.
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n195/missplobs/mould_01.jpg
She contacted the Environmental Health Dept who advised her to wipe this mould off with diluted bleach, she is now suffering from asthma related symptoms.
Does anyone know if this mould is in fact safe to be treated.
Thanks
Daisy May

It looks like your friend should contact her neighbours, as, to my eye, they have a leak coming through her wall.
Jonathan

I reckon you may be right on this one. Problem is she did try to speak to the neighbours but they refused to answer the door. I have suggested that she puts a note through their letterbox.
Cheers
Daisy May

If the polite letter doesn't work then I'd go and have a chat with a solicitor about sending her an official but polite letter (they'll usually do this for a set fee). If your friend has damp problems from running water then the longer they leave it the worse it will get. The last thing you need is dry rot setting in when it can easily be avoided. If you pop something in the letter about that you believe the problems are been caused by running water from the neighbours house and that if further problems may occur if remedial action isn't taken then you may be able to hold them responsible for any costs should the damp problem become worse.
Ash

Very good advice, thanks very much
Daisy May
"Daisy May" wrote:

The mould is not a danger but the bleach fumes are, especially to someone with a respiratory disorder such as asthma. Killing the mould will not fix the problem - the source of the moisture needs to be identified and fixed.

Thanks for your input, my friend says she is going to try Tea Tree oil, but, as you so rightly say, unless the source of the leak is remedied the problem stills remains.
Thanks
Daisy May