Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Testing with a UK Single Pole RCBO in Circuit
I am about to buy a Megger MFT1553 multi tester as I am getting one of my staff fully qualified to 17th Edition and need a decent test unit. Megger is after all the original brand of insulation...
1
1

Best way to cover imperfect walls?
Having had my flat for 4 years I am finally getting round to some decoration/DIY. Some of the (interior) walls are very pock-marked, and even bulge in places. I assume this is the result of very...
10
10

A question for the trading plumbers, gas fitters and sparkies? OT
After posting in another newsgroup I have stumbled across the Cancellation of Contracts made in a Consumers Home or Placer of work etc. Regulations 2008. I run a gas safe company and deal mainly with...
1
1

new virus
please be aware that there is a new virus going around the internet & if you do receive an e-mail titled "naked picture of susan boyle" please do not open this e-mail as it does in fact contain a...

boards for making a shed type thing
i have a sort of lean-to at the end of my garage, it was origionaly a dog cage for a gun dog, very roughly poured concrete floor, 5 galvo'd steel posts, and those mesh type panels found on temporary...
12
12

Boiler/heating system breakdown insurance
As our system is now over 3 years old I am about to take out breakdown insurance. The question is with who? Any feedback, good or bad appreciated. Mike
19
19

Polyurethane Expanding Foam
Does anyone know if the polyurethane foam supplied in aerosol canisters at DIY stores, has any adverse effects on PEX Plastic barrier pipe. Long term or short term.
2
2

Wooden internal doors and shortcuts
If I used knotting solution on all surfaces of a door, to prevent later problems, but then proceeded to prime and undercoat the door once hung i.e. missing the bottom surface, and the hinge areas, is...
11
11

Burglar Alarm
Rather a generic question here. I haven't bought one yet, but is there any reason why an installed burglar alarm wouldn't be wired into the normal ring mains? Or would it normally have it's own...
17
17

Plastic H & C piping
Hi I want to re-run a lot of my unsightly visible plumbing in the now internal cavity wall between my extension and old property. I thought that if I take out the odd bricks I can use PEX piping for H...

Richard Burbidge Fusion stair parts - thoughts?
Spotted this stuff in the screwfix catalogue and wondered if anyone had actually seen it for real or even installed any of it? a bit of a contemporary look to replace the traditional painted spindles...
1
1

OT: fire escape replacement
A friend of mine has a flat where the sole access is an external uncovered staircase which I can best describe as a fire escape with timber cladding to the bottom and sides to make it look a bit...
6
6

Motorised C/H valve gone wrong.....
Just a long shot.... Switchmaster (Smiths?) VA1 threeport 22mm motorised valve failed.... internettything makes for disappointing outcome.... the electric motor goes, driving the dial round so far,...
4
4

Finding a Good Pro
How do you guys go about finding a good pro to help with your projects around the house/office? -- (coming soon!)
6
6

Heating oil level in tank-Query
Recently I had difficulty in reading the level of oil in my tank via the fitted plastic tube I have heard of a small ball being placed in the tube to facilitate reading the level. I am looking for...
5
5