Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Electric shower fault
I could smell burning from my electric shower this morning so i've had a look inside. There is a thermal cut out switch fitted on top of the shower's heat exchanger. The cable connecting this directly...
2
2

Siemens radio 423mhz cable free
this controls the central heating and works fine if the sender is placed next to the receiver. Anywhere else in the home and it's hit or miss. Is there a way to boost the radio signal? housetrained
1
1

Mains Multipoint
I am going away for a few days and wanted to know if it is ok to turn the water off in the house but leave the pilot light going in the multipoint. ( hot water only) my heating is warm air and I...
26
26

boiler scrappage
I had hoped to qualify for the government's boiler scrappage scheme so got a price to replace our boiler with a new high efficiency combi. I just found out to-day that although our old boiler is over...
10
10

hot tap running really slow
My kitchen tap runs to a slow trickle ones the water heats through th pipes never did this before have turned the screw under sink both ways its either off or just the trickle it runs fine to start...
5
5

Dimmer switches
We have three dimmer switches similar to this one. two have ceased to dim. Can they be repaired rather than replaced. To a non electrician like myself the wiring on all three looks OK. One room with a...
6
6

Planning application for entrance?
Hi, Scenario: House built at a lower level (2 meters) to an adjacent B road and public footpath which has moderate traffic.A large hedge also runs along this perimeter. The B road is not level but is...
2
2

Gas boiler
I have a Potterton Boiler, non-condersing, installed by corgi fitter about 5 years ago. Recently, yesterday and today, it has been sending out noises, such as 'bangs' and now 'cracks' (like a kids top...
2
2

Cast iron drain pipe disaster
I got a cast iron drain pipe 3" diameter thats taking sink water and it appears out of the wall with a 90 degree bend and goes straight down about 3 meters and into concrete. Someone opened the 90...
32
32

Right way to wire up kitchen cupboard lights?
I'm installing some under-cupboard lights and some that are on top of the cupboards in my new kitchen. What's the right way to do this? How is the twin and earth cable that supplies these lights meant...
8
8

Require unbreakable ! mobile 3G connection ( dongle )
Guys , mnay thanks in advance for your help and know it will be copious and send me off in many creative directions to come up with a solution , im looking forward to it Criteria is to have a...

Wiring a shower affixed to a plasterboard partition-wall.
I'm installing a shower onto a 'plasterboard - stud - plasterboard' partition wall. Does the (10mm) cable have to be protected in any way, by conduit for example? Or is it like fitting electrical...
3
3

controlling "power sockets" via internet ?
I should really ask this question via but its just full of spam so though i would ask here in case any anyone has came across such a product Essentially i want to remotely turn of and on particular...
2
2

Huh? Strange spam today..
How are you doing pretty! I want to be friends with you! I am Myriam. Can't wait to see "+1" (; Plus 1 what exactly? Oh well, probably some loony. Brian
1
1

Smoke alarms
Anyone familiar with these? I need to replace mine and I'm hearing that there are at least two types. If I'm going to buy something I might as well go for something that will cover all evetualities -...
3
3