Use your scrap HW flooring for table tops

I needed to make a quick table to put my scanner above my printer and saw that I had a inherited a few scraps of HW flooring that work perfectly!

Sorry for the grainy image. I'm leaving it at original res.

Just some glue and >poof

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

A great way to use scrap wood that you have. Another good reason to hang on to pieces of scrap.

Looks great.

Paul

Reply to
Paul T.

The lighter wood looks like pine, not hardwood.

Reply to
Morgans

Yep. I did the same except I covered the Formica countertops in the kitchen!

Looks like butcher-block.

Reply to
HeyBub

Be careful if you use the prefinished flooring as some of it contains aluminum oxide particles for wear resistance. Great for floors but hell on tools. Carbide tooling is a must when working with it as my ruined set of HSS planer knives will attest to. Art

Reply to
Artemus

How did you finish it?

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

I had a dear friend (who passed away last week) who had a flooring and cabinet business. He would call me now and again to come pick up some cutoffs and extras. He gave me lots of Ipe, cocobolo, qs oak, and other wonderful stuff. Plus a bunch of oak flooring which I used to do the flooring in our mountain home. Table tops my ass. Oops that should read "my a$$". Sorry. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn
[...snip...]

Ok. So?

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

When you did the flooring, how long were the cutoffs? Usually they're not very long. You'd have a lot of transverse seams with the lengths I've seen (24" or less).

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

That must look awesome. I'm betting no, but did you use the kind with the micro-bevel on it---I've seen some that had that that weren't the usually engineered kind. That might make a very interesting top for something that large.

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

Hey thanks! One small gotcha. In my case, the tongue & grooves aren't aligned precisely between the two types of wood, so the surfaces aren't perfectly aligned. No biggie for this kind of thing though.

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

I didn't. It came that way from the manufacturer. It was laminate flooring.

I figured if it was designed to handle tracked-in dirt, golf shoes, sliding furniture, dog claws, and the like, it could handle an occassional knife-slip! Anyway, it's been installed about a year now and still looks perfect.

The only thing that might bother some person (not me)* is some double-nasty fungus or bacteria hiding in a crack which, during subsequent food preparation, may end up poisoning the entire neighborhood and suburbs beyond.

Wiping the surface with bleach should take care of that contingency.

Reply to
HeyBub

Actually the oak flooring was overbuy stock so they were in 4' lengths. And the price was right.

The cutoffs varied between 1' and 4' of various widths. Great for cutting boards, boxes, etc. He was a good man and the world needs more Merrill Bolsters, not less. Sigh.

Reply to
jo4hn

snipped-for-privacy@t2g2000yqe.googlegroups.com...

The alumina is part of a normal polymer finish; a bit of work with a heat gun or torch and scraper will remove it.

Reply to
whit3rd

------------------------------

1st law of the workshop.

After the clicker test for hidden fasteners, all "foreign" stock goes thru the drum sander first.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I've got some left over laminate I'll have to try some bleach on.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

You like to take risks right? (the point makes a lot of sense, laminate won't absorb much, but the cracks could.)

What I'd consider doing was to just seal the cracks instead. I think that might be a better solution than bleach... (Oh, crap, a bad pun!)

Shows the value of the first furnature purchase with the (new) GF... A new, comfy couch!

Reply to
PeterD

But that is the usual outcome with t&G flooring and the first finishing step of coarse sanding deals with imperfections like that.

Reply to
George

You did say you used hardwood?

Reply to
George

I have scraps. One of the ones I used (the middle piece) is Brazilian Cherry. The other looks like pine, but honestly I don't know. But my question is *What* on earth could it possibly matter if two of the pieces aren't hardwood???

Perhaps I should have made the subject "Use your scrap HW and pine flooring for table tops." OR perhaps I should have said in the original post some extra words to the effect of "...and saw that I had a inherited a few scraps of HW flooring and something that looks like pine that work perfectly!"

Is this all necessary?

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall