UNIONS ON GAS PIPE

I have never heard more different opinions on anything.
Can you use unions to connect gas pipe? Or rather, is it LEGAL to use unions to connect gas pipe?
Some say YEAH BUT HIDE THEM, some say NO WAY, some say SURE, I'VE DONE IT FOR YEARS. I was replacing some gas pipe and the guy at the plumbing wholesaler asked if I wanted to do the connection with a union or a right-left pipe and fitting (giving me a choice). I've always done it with a right-left (though I don't like that way) because I thought that was the code.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
There are unions at my meter.

If I recall, the Uniform Plumbing Code only allows unions at appliances and at the meter. These have to remain exposed. Anywhere else you need to use a left-right coupling.
For a more definitive answer, www.iapmo.org has a recent draft of the UPC available for download, and you can find the actual rules.
Yours, Wayne

That's the only place I have seen them used as well.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

... There's rarely if ever a need to disassemble anywhere except at those locations as a routine/planned event, so little need afaics for anything other than standard fittings elsewhere.
I would have assumed the question wasn't for in a buried line, certainly... :)
Tim wrote:

Unions are a necessity when using screw together pipe. Anyone who says that they are not allowed are just full of shit. Hell , look at your meter, you'll find at least two of them there.

Actually as unbelievable as it may seem unions, are not allowed (per current code) even in accessible locations, except at the meter. A left-right coupling is required.....which serves (more or less) the same function as a union but uses tapered thread.
That said, my 1930 (worked by professional plumbers up until 1979) gas supply has a few unions .....no problems so far. :)
cheers Bob
Well some of the unions out there now suck, I tried some with a air system piping it leaked where they joined up, like it was not a good fit had to use pipe dope on the mating surfaces to get a good seal.