Super J joists Question

What is the maxium span of a super J joist before needed a middle support?

Reply to
bdeditch

Maybe ask the MFG Co?

Reply to
DAC

I thought the people here would know.

Reply to
bdeditch

Depends on the loads.

Reply to
Hammer Time

I'd be interested in this too. What is a Super J and how do I find out more about them? Is there a website to look them up?

Reply to
HockeyFan

G-O-O-G-L-E

DING! DING! DING!

We have a winner!

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

No, it also depends on the size of the joist. Although, I did a quick search and didn't even find a super J joist so maybe they only come in one section size.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Somone suggested Google. I tried that before posting my question.

Reply to
HockeyFan

The best source is the manufacturer of the product.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

You get to be runner up, ok?

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

I made the mistake its a super "I" joist and I did the search myself as well. It seems Matt is correct, it depends on the depth of the joist. I have used them in the past and think they are very good. I was checking for a friend of mine who is planning his cost for building a new home, just hope that they are allowed in California

Reply to
bdeditch

I don't think they are because they have been know by the state of California to cause cancer. LOL

Reply to
bitternut

Sorry. It's a function of load *and* depth. Either way the original question is dangerously naive.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Check with your supplier. When I built my house I walked in with a plan and they sized and priced everything accordingly, "free".

Why speculate on something you obiously don't have the necessary resources to provide him with accurate information. You can't take a WAG guess on lenght and extrapolate a cost, with the different sizes comes a different cost/foot. What good would the information you provided be anyway? Do it right and seek professional recommendations.

DAC

Reply to
DAC

And where did you get that information? Sounds like urban legend to me.

Reply to
Bob Morrison

Hence the "LOL", Bob!

Reply to
Matt Barrow

No kidding? And who might that be? Why not just admit that you don't know either?

Reply to
Glenn

I did the same thing that DAC did. Hand them the plans and they give you a drawing showing placement and instructions.

Bob everything you pick up these days seems to have a tag on it saying the state of California has determined this item causes cancer.

Reply to
bitternut

Beats me. He apparently didn't even provide the correct product name as I couldn't find it with a search. If I was going to install a product, I would know who the manufacturer was.

And what is it to you anyway?

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting