Super J joists Question

Page 1 of 2
What is the maxium span of a super J joist before needed a middle support?

Maybe ask the MFG Co?

I thought the people here would know.

Depends on the loads.
I'd be interested in this too. What is a Super J and how do I find out more about them? Is there a website to look them up?

G-O-O-G-L-E

DING! DING! DING!
We have a winner!
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

No, it also depends on the size of the joist. Although, I did a quick search and didn't even find a super J joist so maybe they only come in one section size.
Matt
Somone suggested Google. I tried that before posting my question.
HockeyFan wrote:

The best source is the manufacturer of the product.
Matt
No kidding? And who might that be? Why not just admit that you don't know either?

Glenn wrote:

Beats me. He apparently didn't even provide the correct product name as I couldn't find it with a search. If I was going to install a product, I would know who the manufacturer was.
And what is it to you anyway?
Matt

You get to be runner up, ok?

I made the mistake its a super "I" joist and I did the search myself as well. It seems Matt is correct, it depends on the depth of the joist. I have used them in the past and think they are very good. I was checking for a friend of mine who is planning his cost for building a new home, just hope that they are allowed in California
I don't think they are because they have been know by the state of California to cause cancer. LOL

In a previous post bitternut wrote...

And where did you get that information? Sounds like urban legend to me.
--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co

Hence the "LOL", Bob!

Sorry. It's a function of load *and* depth. Either way the original question is dangerously naive.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

Still not correct. It depends not on just the depth of the beam. It depends on the size and shape of the section.
Matt

I stand corrected, if we aren't picking products from a catalogue. Let's not forget about spacing since we're arguing about a stupid question...
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca