spray foam costs

I got prices for spray foam and batt insulation. Very expensive to go with spray foam. For a garage that is 30' wide and 25' deep and 14' high I got a price of $1100 plus tax, plus costs for vapour barrier afterwards. For batt insulation $700 and that's vapour barrier included ! In short it's twice the amount for spray foam.

Huge cost difference

Reply to
Section 31

Yes, but depending on things like how well the batts are installed and how well the structure is sealed, the spray foam may be the better way to go and result in lower heating/cooling bills. I will be using Corbond for the roof deck in my attic and new shop.

Steve.

Reply to
SteveF

are you going to cover all of it with drywall, etc or leave some exposed? I am curious how rough the surface ends up on sprayed insulation.

Bill

Reply to
bill allemann

"bill allemann" wrote in news:LYHGg.10399 $ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net:

On my place, the installation contractor cut the foam down to be even with the studs/joists with whatever knife-like objects they had on hand (one guy used a machete). The "roughness" was quite fine-grained -- much as if you had cut a piece of styrofoam with a slightly dull knife.

Reply to
Murray Peterson

sounds cheap to me! How much surface area did they spray? I had a sunroom ceiling sprayed, 2x6 construction fully filled, 8x20 feet of ceiling plus some knee walls cost me $2500! Things in my area tend to be double the cost of many other areas.

Cost will be dependant on board footage of foam. For example, I probably ended up with about 100 cubic feet which is 1200 board feet. Materials cost alone if you were to buy your own 2-part polyurethane would be about $1000.

I'd never go back to fiberglass unless absolutely necessary. It provides minimal air barrier, loses it's R value in cold weather and is worthless if it gets damp. A good dense polyurethane will provide maximal R value in all conditions, complete infiltration sealing and water/vapor resistance if thick enough (>~1").

Reply to
Astro

Sounds like a standalone garage. Probably not worth it, unless you live in it for any great length of time per day. Whichever you go with, be sure the insulation does not hinder or block air entry from exterior vents to the attic area. This goes a long way in cooling the garage in the summer months.

Reply to
Jonny

Prices I've seen advertised were $1.60 sq.ft for a 1" flash coat (spray foam) with R-19 batt, and $2.25 sq.ft for spray foam. (very generalized, varies widely by local and mfgr.) In comparison, fiberglass batts are around $0.70 sq.ft. installed. For a garage go with the least expensive as the leakage around the overhead door is the main problem.

Reply to
PPS