reading on safe construction materials and methods

Can anyone recommend a good reading on materials used for residential construction, with an emhasis on material safety - particulate contamination, outgassing, mold, etc., preferentially with references to scientific research?
I found this website:
http://www.saferbuilding.com /
... but they charge for $3.99 the information. $3.99 is not a lot of money, but I do not know if I can trust it, since they also look to be a construction company (?) Or, if anyone had good experience with this source, I would appreciate knowing your opinion, too.
Thanks a lot in advance!