Problems Installing Glue-Down Wood Floor

I am installing a Mohawk engineered wood floor, glued over a concrete subfloor. I am using the dry lay method, allowing the adhesive to get tacky before laying the floor, with Mohawk urethane adhesive. I began an area yesterday 15" wide by 20' long but ran into a few serious problems.

  1. I am installing the planks with the tongue facing the starter wall and I'm using a hard rubber tapping block on the sides and butt ends of the planks. Since I have to keep the block at an angle to keep it out of the wet adhesive, I am dinging the top edge of some of the planks. I tried using a scrap piece of flooring but that didn't seem to work any better.

  1. Some of the planks seemed to separate, even after being butted together tightly. The installation instructions say to use blue painter's tape to hold the planks together, but I was not applying the tape until after completing a section. Should I apply the tape to each plank as it is laid? What is the spacing between the strips of tape?

  2. When I lifted some of the boards to check them I am not getting good adhesive coverage. I used the correct notched trowel and the subfloor is smooth within specifications.

Thank you for any help you can give me. Jim B.

Reply to
mjb920

I know nothing about the glue down product...but you may want to call their support center at: 800-266-4295 M-F 8-5 E.S.T..

With the coverage, if you're using the correct notched trowel, it could be that you're laying it down too flat when spreading the adhesive, try keeping the trowel more perpinduclar which keeps the notches open the most.

Good luck

DAC

Reply to
DAC

Hi I have completed a job succesfully with a similar product. The secret lays in laying a straight edge chalk mark and making sure your first line is square and does not move from line. Once you have this adhered sometimes if you cant mount a concrete nail to hold in place use something heavy to secure to that line. Then use a scrap piece and very gently but with a somewhat firm tap on second and each addition line tap next line to each one. Additional tip would be to go from one length to end and start a new one dont go side to side. Alternate each row DO not try and keep all rows matching as this will cause you much grief and will not look right stagger them. If you have already installed and looks incorrect use a scraper and remove and clean adhesive off and try and salvage what you can to try again as this turned out 1st class in a huge custom home if you do as I stated Good luck Jerry

-- Jerry Riddle

Reply to
Jerry Riddle

Thanks for the advice. I think I was holding the trowel too flat in some areas.

I e-mailed their support last night. I've called their support line a couple times with minor questions, but the person was just reading the installation instructions to look for my answer. I am going to ask to speak to someone with more knowledge if they don't give me good answers.

Reply to
mjb920

This night shed some light on the call center.

Bill

Reply to
Berkshire Bill