Leakage problem in basement

I have a half basement and half crawl space. There is a Sump pump pumping water outside and there is another in by the Heating unit. The distance between the two pumps is 20 ft.

Recently i noticed that the carpet near the heating unit was wet. I check this pump and it seemed to be working. checked the walls , none of them were wet. The piped overhead also seemed dry. There is a drainiage for the humiderfier water near this pit.

I also checked the other other sump pit. This pit was full and the pump was working but the water was being discharged within the pit. But no water was being pumped out. I have now fixed this pump and water is being pumped out.

The problem is i cannot figure out the leak for the leakage. Can 2nd sump pit being full cause the first one to overflow?

Reply to
navin.Dhar

I have a half basement and half crawl space. There is a Sump pump pumping water outside and there is another in by the Heating unit. The distance between the two pumps is 20 ft.

Recently i noticed that the carpet near the heating unit was wet. I check this pump and it seemed to be working. checked the walls , none of them were wet. The piped overhead also seemed dry. There is a drainiage for the humiderfier water near this pit.

I also checked the other other sump pit. This pit was full and the pump was working but the water was being discharged within the pit. But no water was being pumped out. I have now fixed this pump and water is being pumped out.

The problem is i cannot figure out the leak for the leakage. Can 2nd sump pit being full cause the first one to overflow?

Reply to
navin.Dhar

Yes, if they are connected (mine is via a 2" pipe. Should one fill up and not get pumped, it will overflow into the second.) If they are not connected, the only other way would be over the top of the floor (but you would have seen a water trail). Could the humidifier be clogged and catching drainage overflow? It might be intermittent enough to get the floor wet but not enough to show on the piping. (Guessing)

Reply to
Dennis