It's raining on my frame

Page 2 of 2
Your temps are a little lower than here but the rest sounds about the same. Rain, rain, rain, sun, rain, rain, sun.........
I jumped in the truck to go to Lowes (don't ask, please) and the battery was dead. <sigh> So I grabbed my jump charger that hasn't been plugged in since I keft FL in March and ta-daaa, it fired right up. I threw it in reverse and immediately started spinning. Pulled forward a little hoping for some new real estate and started spinning again. Shit.
Fortunately there is a bulldozer and a skidloader in my front yard and the drivers suposed to come by in the morning to grade and gravel the drive so he can pull me out. Now where did I put my 30' loggin' chain?????
"Pat"> wrote

Don wrote:

Ohboy, if you need a dozer now you'll need a crane at the spring thaw, nature is just warming you up. Btw Don, I heard the fella who bought your FL house was from Indiana :-). Cheer up, the long range forecast calls for sunshine in June 2007. Ken
"Ken S. Tucker"> wrote

The grader dood came by this morning but it was raining and cold so we just stood on the porch and yapped. Tomorrow is supposed to be nicer so he'll come back, pull me out, and drop some 53 gravel in the drive, about 80 tons of it. Then I'll have some traction. My wife and son have been parking at the neighbors across the road.

Maybe they were right about the lady bugs! Get out while you can!
--
Edgar

"Edgar"> wrote

Funny thing, other than a couple inside the house, on the ceiling, there are none to be found outside. Weird.

The ones outside might already be tucked into nooks and crannies and beginning to hibernate, which is why you wouldn't see them. At least, I recall learning somehere that they hibernate - I might be wrong. If they do, tho', t The ones that got, and are now trapped, inside are prob too warm to actually get into hibernation mode, so are still looking for a nosh, and a good place to pass the Winter.

You would be drier living in an underwater home.

There may be damage, there may be not. You won't be able to tell for now. It'll be too late if damage is apparent later. Candidly, this has been going on for decades, before OSB was ever dreamed of. I've seen decks, 2nd floors, and roofs curl up with plywood. OSB bubbles.
--
Jonny

Jonny wrote:

Interesting, we wanted OSB but were advised plywood is better for exposure and about the same price as OSB. I wonder if the quality of plywood has been improving to stay competitive with OSB. Anyway, we've switched back to plywood, we'll see. Ken
OSB will take some rain, but it does swell and eventually appear damaged. Exterior plywood will last a little longer. The shiny side of OSB really isn't anymore water proof than the rough side. The shiny side goes down for ease of sliding into place on the roof rafter while the rough side goes up for ease of walking across without slipping after its screwed down. For less than $10- you can buy at Home Depot a huge roll of plastic sheeting that can take a little bit of weather. Stretch it tight and watch for puddling, which can result in catastrophic buckets of water being released when the plastic gives. Don't enclose the wood in plastic though or dry rot could occur. That's what I have stretched over my rafters right now, as my engineer contemplates his work which is 3 months in progress. I'm replacing the old warped rafters with engineered trusses, but we had to reinforce the foundation among other things. Ideally, a good long summer of drying the wood would be the best thing, it seems to me, since having bone dry wall studs before putting in insulation and covering with drywall and whatever exterior you use will help reduce mold problems. It's a good idea to push for completion of the roofing surface to at least the level of roofing felt right now before the major winter storms come.
Ken S. Tucker wrote:

Alan wrote:

That plastic sheeting (10' wide x 100') is a stock item around here, we also use tarps 30'x40' for $50 and thicker for more coin. Hear ya about wet studs, hopefully the wall breathes, but maybe a blast of propane heat for a day might be a good thing, if the studs are slimy. Ken
"Ken S. Tucker"> wrote

I bought a 300,000btu propane heater that I'll use in the garage to help dry the studs and trusses after I have all the exterior sheathing on. I'm seriously considering sacrificial roof felt that I will replace in the spring. I have an aversion to installing shingles in real cold weather, I don't think they'll seal properly. I'd rather replace just the felt than the felt AND the shingles.
Don wrote:

One common hassle is "ice bridging", snow melts at the peak and freezes near the eaves, hopefully you'll have ceiling insulation before that's a problem and a well vented attic, darn weather clocks tickin'. Another option is steel roofing in place of shingles, I'm told it's better, tho more $, but then you'll get the roof done in any weather this season. Again, on hear-say, I'm told steel roofs don't have "ice bridging" problems. Hope others will chime in about that. Ken
Don wrote:

I use Ice & Water Shield (or equal) over the entire roof when it's going to be a while before it gets shingled. Normally just the valleys, 1' in from the rake edges and the bottom 3' along the eaves is done in the membrane, but it's a mid-priced compromise that is far superior to felt. I've gone a few months with the stuff on the roof, a completed interior and no problems.
"Sasquatch"

On top of some good suggestions here, seeing as some of us agree that life is a circus, how about a big top? Type; "rent tent exhibition outdoor" in Google's Images link and see what comes up.
Incidentally, is it the rainy season where you're located, and what kind of allowances does one normally make for rain?
Warm Worm wrote:

I'm not sure which is the wettest month in Wisconsin. I think it might be August, if I remember correctly. But really the variation in rainfall in Wisconsin is not very distinct. For the most part, precipitation is pretty consistent from month to month. Basically, if it's cold enough to snow, it snows, otherwise it rains, and at a pretty consistent rate from month to month, aside from fluctuations from one year to the next.
As for "allowances," I'm not quite sure what you're asking.
- John
Warm Worm wrote:

Hi John,
A few days of rain should not hurt as long as you have plywood on the deck. If it is OSB, make sure you cover and do not let standing water pool.
Using water sealer is o.k. if the wood was dry, but applying to wet substrait would not work. If the subfloor is open underneath and it not sealed, this will allow the water wick away.
I hope this helps.
Regards, Larry J Clark President Allpro Building Systems www.abshomes.com
Sasquatch wrote:

Sasquatch wrote:

I think you should start another thread on the same topic immediately. Either that or Google the damn newsgroups.