Innovative materials - school project

Hi! My name is Pawel, I have to do this project for my "Construction Materials and Methods" class. I would like to write about some kind of material, which is really innovative for industry. Something, which is maybe not that popular nowadays, but has a chance to be in common use in the near future. It does not need to be new on a market. It would be even more interesting if you guys knew material with great attributes, but for some unknown reason not very well known among other builders. Let me know, if you know something about material like this, especially if you had a chance to work with it. Thanks for your time,
Pawel
I am new around here (US, construction, this forum - damn, I am NEW(!)). Please, forgive me if you think that my inquiry does not fit this forum.

It's a good question Pawel.
One thing I think of is recycled plastic for fake wood (I think they call it composite lumber)
it's old milk jugs and stuff, it comes in colors http://www.evergrain.com /
Tony

http://www.paperstoneproducts.com/products.shtml
Autoclaved Aerated Concrete doesn't seem to have caught on in the US nearly as much as I had hoped for, though it's been in use elsewhere for a long time. Take a look at insulation factor and fire resistance, among other properties.
Kay

What she said.

Meanwhile, I did my little research and I found what looks really interesting. It is a concrete-like material: Ductal [www.imagineductal.com] What do you think about it? It was introduced a while ago - did you ever hear about it? As I said before, I am construction newbie, I may be naive with my opinions, but damn - this crap looks fantastic! Put me on a ground, show me disadvantages!
On Jun 25, 12:07 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Okay, the polls are open. Is he a spammer with a better than average line, or not?

Oh, dude - please! Is that because I inserted a link to their website? What else should I do? Do you want me to send you my Course Description/Requirements? Some kind of proof I really need it for school? Are you one of those smelling conspiracy theory everywhere? Relax, there is nothing behind it. Really.

where have you been, there IS a conspiracy everywhere you got your new product, beat it kid! scram!
ok, here's something you could do, when you are finished with your report you could post it here, then we can see you really had to write something. no spammer would actually write something worth reading, so it better be interesting. good luck, make an A
Tony
On Jun 25, 1:31 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You're refusing to take the compliment, Pavel. Instead of saying you're a lazy student who won't do their own research (no, asking someone for an answer is not research), I'm crediting you with being a rather inventive spammer.
As someone who is supposedly in college and writing papers, you lack of proper attribution skills is worrying. It's customary, polite and efficient to attribute whatever it is you're quoting.
BTW, you don't get to vote on whether you're spamming or not. Legal voting age around here is one year older than you. ;)
On Jun 25, 1:31 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I don't know if it's Rico's popint, but when you insert a link, insert one that points DIRECTLY to the website, not to one like that ill-behaved monstrosity you did. That's a typical spammer tactic, and many of us think spammers should be, how should we say?....liquidated.
Matt Barrow wrote:

to 5 years of non-stop infomercials. After that let the drug companies have them for another 5 years to use where they used to use animals for testing. Then assuming they are still moving let the military shoot em for target practice.
--
Art

Rico, as I said before I am new in construction and that is one of the reasons I am on this group. There are quadrillion different construction materials I do not think that there is anything wrong in asking pro's about their opinion. Some of them are helpful, some not. It has nothing to do with being lazy, being here is part of my research. Link you saw in my previous post was found in this book [ISBN-10: 1568985630]. No title, no publisher - satisfied? I am simply surprised that there is somebody wasting his time posting such a negative crap. Is it like - "I do not really have anything to say, but I have to show him who is who"? Why do not you impress me with your knowledge and write what you think about ductal? I would love to hear your opinion about it, you know, as a pro.
dang!

tell me more about this book

Rico is a good guy. You're probably still scratching your head. maybe you're just venting on him
I didn't see him being negative you little school feller
shouldn't you be up and down the hallways, sniffing out a partner?

website? Grrrrrr...... Are you sure if you want to know? Maybe you should not ask, maybe do some research first? How about you google (not that I am suggesting any search engines) for a few days, than post what you found. Make sure you are not gonna insert any links, I have learnt that it means that you are trying to get hits on that (yours? [sic!]) site for ad revenue and it is not accepted here... OK, just joking. (Amazon.com product link shortened)
Take care, Pawel

Given the popups and what not at his, I'd say average spammer.
Go direct to http://www.lafargenorthamerica.com/wps/portal /
I hope they're better at building materials than they are at having snot-nosed geeks developing their website.
RicodJour wrote:

multimedia show that I did not watch. Any normal person would have just linked to a page. It could be he is just trying to get hits on that (his?) site for ad revenue.
--
Art

How about a house built by a robot that "prints" the house layer by layer?... http://www.fiveregionsofthefuture.com/region/entries/HomesBuiltByRobots
The process described is also known as stereolithography... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereolithography
and it's been used to make things like plastic parts for computers etc for 12+ years.
Currently it costs a lot to build a round house because it's harder for a bricklayer to build curved walls. With stereolithography it's as easy to make curved walls as straight.
Colin