hole for tv over fireplace

Hi all we have the big section cut out in our new house over the fireplace for a television. Well this the only area we can place our new 50 in plasma tv. We are at wits in on how we can do that with limited space available for all of our other equipment? We could but it on the other wall but then we'd have to move the couch, which would close up the living room area.

Please help we need to get an idea as to how we can utilize that space and have room for other equipment..ie...dvr, cd, speakers.

thanks need help

Reply to
steph

Please, what in the heck are you talking about ?? Did you read this message before you posted it ?

James

---------------------------

Hi all we have the big section cut out in our new house over the fireplace for a television. Well this the only area we can place our new 50 in plasma tv. We are at wits in on how we can do that with limited space available for all of our other equipment? We could but it on the other wall but then we'd have to move the couch, which would close up the living room area.

Please help we need to get an idea as to how we can utilize that space and have room for other equipment..ie...dvr, cd, speakers.

thanks need help

Reply to
James

Oh my! Heaven for bid, you might break a nail moving the couch.

A simple case of more money than brains

I'll say!

Reply to
hawgeye

How about installing glass shelves to the side of the TV, you can also have the equipment on the opposite side of the room but you would have to hide the cables which means sheetrock work. Besides this is more of design than construction question.

Reply to
snow

The neat thing about a TV is that you can run wires to it from equipment located elsewhere.

Notice how they do this in retail stores. They have a TV hanging from the ceiling. The equipment feeding the video is located elsewhere.

An electrical or "handy" type of person can make custom wires which will connect to equipment some distance away. Or check in yellow pages under "video". Call around and you should be able to find someone who can do whatever wiring is needed.

So far as where to place the CD/VCR/stereo, etc., many living rooms have the floor space used up, but there is plenty of space available higher up. Like on the walls above the couch for example. Or the ceiling. Look up! There is all sorts of room up there...

Many possibilities.... You could have a carpenter build attractive shelves or cabinets on any wall for this equipment. Or even have equipment hanging down from the ceiling!

If you have empty attic space above your ceiling, you can have a motorized entertainment center which is concealed in the ceiling.

Press a button and the entire works drops down from the ceiling!

Entertaining and having a houseful of guests over for that black-tie social affair? Well just press a button and the entertainment center is moves smoothly and neatly up into the ceiling - hidden from view.

Also there are remote extenders. So you could actually have the equipment located in another room or in a cabinet anywhere in the house. (Just like at your local retail store!)

For example I have a lot of satellite video equipment, stereo, etc. in my living room. But I also like to watch TV or listen to music in my bedroom. All I have in my bedroom are speakers, a TV, and a remote extender. Everything in the bedroom is connected to the equipment in the living room. I can operate anything in the living room to be seen/heard in the bedroom via the remote extender. (I purchased duplicate remote controls for my bedroom.)

Reply to
Bill

What's behind the wall? Put all the kit back there and drill a hole through for HDMI cable and an IR "eye".

or send the 50" TV to me and get a smaller one :-)

Reply to
CWatters

Well if it's "over the fireplace", I would guess there would be a chimney behind the wall.

Reply to
Art

Sounds like a reasonable guess. [g]

Reply to
Glenn

Gosh how wide are your chimneys over there? Wider than your TVs?

Reply to
CWatters