Gong solar

I don't see much on this here. So, I thought I'd throw in my recent experience on research on it. I live in central TX (abundant sun). My house has a hip roof wth one quarter facing the south, detached garage, which is about 150 feet from house, has gable roof with one side facing south. Both are 5 on 12 pitch. My electric provider is PEC.

annual electric use has been approximately under 1100 KW for the past 3 years. I am the only occupant of the 1250 sq. ft. 3 bedroom home, completed in Feb 2005. The roof has composition shingles. The property consists of 5 acres in a rural area of course.

Here's an example of quotes for installation AFTER federal tax credits. Includes all hardware to connect between house main electrical panel and meter.

20 solar panels, 5000 KW/year, $16K 30 solar panels, 7500 KW/year, $22.6K 54 solar panels 13.543 KW/year $38.36K In the latter case, some panels would have to go on the garage. Complete battery system for off-grid, and/or, loss of electric from provider. $15K Also, passive solar water heater 80 gallon tank, 2 roof mounted arrays, pump and electrical hardware. $5.6K All are guaranteed for 5 years per their warranty. With the exception of the solar panels which is 20 years. Expected life for solar panels is 30-40 years. Battery life varies from 2-5 years depending on the type. Passive water heater uses a liquid that has to be changed every 2 years.

Some things that stand out other than the obvious money shock. Replacement of the composition shingles later for instance. PECs requirements, homeowners insurance coverage of both the hardware and potential for personnel death or injury from the equipment, and potential for damaging PECs equipment.

Okay, the company installs all the solar equipment. Now, I have to wait 60 days till they can connect it to the grid. Assuming I have the proper insurance of course. I still pay $22.50 a month for electrical service, even if I don't use it, or even feedback power to the grid in a net positive sense. And, I pay a hair more in electrical power usage from them if I connect this equipment to the grid.

I'm still waiting a response from my insurance agent on equipment coverage, and personnel and equipment damage liability regarding my current homeowners insurance. Some research shows that some homeowners insurance will cover such "green" things at minimal cost, some at greater cost, and some simply will not.

If I do decide to do this, I'll probably go with a the latter system with batteries. Build a big carport type structure to put all the solar panels on its roof, and battery storage area.

Financing, the VP at my local community bank isn't sure. Needs in writing from potential installation company their estimates of cost. She says I qualify for all that I listed as home improvement, but again, needs a hard paper cost from the potential installer. My home loan vs. house worth is definitely right-side up. (Not all banks will finance such "green" home improvements, right-side up or not).

There is much more detail to this. Hope this helps if someone is looking into this out there.

Dioclese

Have you worked out the payback time on those?

Even if you aren't worried about payback...when do they break even on C02?

Reply to
Cwatters

My many decade long bet is that electrical energy production cost, either by long-term future purchased solar equipment or by an electric supplier, will escalate far beyond any current estimate. Has nothing to do with the economic drivel of today's weighing by news "authorities" and government "officials". Which is what you're talking about. I don't think like that. And have no excuse for such based on the past one year history of such "experts". Particularly, in the economic front.

More people on the planet from second to subsequent second. They will all make their own CO2 and add to the total if things remains as they are now. GE's wind turbines and wind farms that use it. Where does that energy come from to make those turbines? Kinda like the battery thing for hybrid cars as well. Yes its the here and now, and may change to "green" throughout the scheme of things. But, your thinking on solar energy electrical energy generation and its cost is the here and now as well. It doesn't go beyond that. The thoughts are clouded in a implausibility of today not changing tomorrow economically. Hung up on payback based on things we can't foresee. Hung up on a population increase and their choices we can't control. Instead of each INDIVIDUAL trying to take control of their own destiny. I can't draw you a better picture except to say that today is Independence Day.

Reply to
Dioclese

Andy comments:

Consider you get the 16K system and the 15K battery infrastructure, since it would be needed.

That's 31K.

If you put the 31K in the bank at, say a "typical" 4% interest, that money would give you $1240 a year in interest.

At 15 cents per kwh, that would buy you 8266 kwh of electricity on the grid.

That is over 8 times what you said your yearly use is......

And you would still have the 31K in the bank to use to buy beer with.....

If you had to borrow the 31K to build the system, it's even more one- sided.......

I guess it just depends on what bank interest rate you can average over the expected 20 years of useful life, and what the cost per kwh of electricity is in your area.

Oh... another thing.... the batteries won't last 20 years. Maybe

5, if you are lucky , and nurse them along..... That will tie up a lot of your "free"time, that could maybe be better used holding down a second job to pay your electric bill......

My point is...... there ain't no way to generate your own electricity as cheaply as connecting to the grid....unless you are in a sailboat or a remote cabin.....

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Reply to
AndyS

Your assumptions are one year based here. What does the future hold? 20,

30, 40 years from now?

What are you assuming for the future for 20, 30, and 40 years from now?

You seem to be forecasting total lack of inflation when the country/world comes out of this recession. What model crystal ball do you use?

No one KNOWS the future, including the news media, FED and U.S. Treasury. That's where "balls" comes in.

If you go back and read the original post, I said the batteries may last 2-5 years. Your second job scenario seems to be based on the here and now again. A second job to pay for increased electrical costs off the grid in the future may be a losing battle.

The 15K I quoted was for the entire electrical system devoted for AC electrical generation from the batteries, not just the batteries.

Tomorrow may result in the same cost or more in buying electricity off the grid compared to making it solar.

I made the original post to help those investigating such in regards to hidden costs, paperwork, legalities, maintenance costs.

They can make up their own minds regarding the cost of energy in the future. And weigh that before making their final decision.

It doesn't hurt to go window shopping either. Meaning you don't have to buy, but you can certainly investigate what's out there. Gives a better perspective in the future in many ways. Particularly when news media, and politicians in the future try to comment on the past regarding all the costs to go solar now. You'll have you own opinion based on reality, not their version of it.

Reply to
Dioclese

I too am doing something similar on Kickstarter:

rich.lifecarts