Foundation Question

Threaded View
Click Here To Start a New Thread
When measuring a foundation and a plan for a foundation, most measurements
for the
foundation are taken from:
A.  The outside corners
B. The inside corners.

Just curious with the result of this question I have.
And reasons for the answer either way.
Thank You,
jloomis

Re: Foundation Question

I would say from the outside corners.
Then it makes no difference what your wall thickness is.
If you measure from the inside corners, then you naturally have to add the
wall thickness.

let's say you have a 20'x20' foundation with a 12" wall.
you want lumber to lay across those walls.
the lumber yard sees your plans and see you've measured on the inside
dimensions and cuts accordingly.
guess what? The boards are 2 feet short. Because they cut according to your
measurements, not your desires.
they can't read minds.

Re: Foundation Question
As Richard said, I measure from the outside corners. That's how my county
measures buildings to figure out the square footage for taxes.  It's also
how I measure for floor joists, subflooring, etc.

For example, our house is a 40'x40' square. The front porch is 6'x24'.  The
county does not include porches as part of the square footage, so our house
is considered to be 1456 square feet.

The only time inside corner measurements come into play is for finish
materials like flooring.

Anthony

Re: Foundation Question
I agree, the owner of this house that I am building has the architect making
measurements from the inside corners...
I was puzzled since I have always gone from the outside......
I have done this so many times, and then to find a project that decides to
do it different.....
just to confuse me?
john

As Richard said, I measure from the outside corners. That's how my county
measures buildings to figure out the square footage for taxes.  It's also
how I measure for floor joists, subflooring, etc.

For example, our house is a 40'x40' square. The front porch is 6'x24'.  The
county does not include porches as part of the square footage, so our house
is considered to be 1456 square feet.

The only time inside corner measurements come into play is for finish
materials like flooring.

Anthony

Re: Foundation Question
John,
If this is the same project you spoke of earlier (T&M) , it sounds as though
the owner and/or the architect are attempting to play games or they don't
know their asses from their elbows. Be cautious!!!!!!

Re: Foundation Question

Perhaps the home owner is constantly over everyone's shoulders and making
sure it's all done HIS way or no way.
I think I'd ask the architect just how many home's he's built and if he
always uses inside measurements.

Re: Foundation Question
John,

The only reason I can think of is if the owner has specific requirements
for the size of the interior spaces.  For example, if they have a row of
bookcases that is 12' wide, you may end up with with too little space by
measuring from the outside.

Of course, if I had that requirement, I would just increase the exterior
dimensions to 13' or 14' to allow for the 12' interior space.  Or, just
build new bookcases. :)

Anthony

Re: Foundation Question
So far the only reason given was due to plate installation.
Well, I have always had to look on the plans as to plate installation and
then set the bolts and hardware in accordance.
This is all taken into reference with the outside
measures......anyway.......
And the outside concrete form is the first installed anyway. Thus outside
measures are the best way to go.
Inside forms always tend to grow or diminish slightly due to material
buildup and the outside always is the one that
one attempts to get "right on"

I thought maybe I was missing something or needed a "kick in the ass" but
all your replies confirm my thoughts.
Thank You.
John

(there is no reason for inside measurement for interior either......just for
your noted comment)

"HerHusband"  wrote in message

John,

The only reason I can think of is if the owner has specific requirements
for the size of the interior spaces.  For example, if they have a row of
bookcases that is 12' wide, you may end up with with too little space by
measuring from the outside.

Of course, if I had that requirement, I would just increase the exterior
dimensions to 13' or 14' to allow for the 12' interior space.  Or, just
build new bookcases. :)

Anthony

Threaded View
Click Here To Start a New Thread