Driving screws?

What's the consensus out there on the best tool to drive screws? About the only way I can prevent cam-out with longer screws is to use screws with hex or torx heads.

...Bob

Reply to
Bob Dozier

Craig M

On the last deck project I did, I drove about 2500 screws, mostly combi drive from Home Depot with the driver in the box. I used a 12v Hitachi impact driver - noisy but very effective.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

I bought myself a Bosch impact driver a few months ago. It's one of the best tools I own. It small and lightweight, but has no problem driving screws fast and without cam-out.

As someone else said, for the longer screws it is a good idea to predrill.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Best "tool"?

Drill / driver with good driver bit (esp important with Phillips)

sufficient tool pressure to keep driver engaged

Driving "element" type & screw thread design are more important than tool.

Screws with square drives will solve a lot of the problem as will hex heads (but not a solution for flat head screws)

cheers Bob

Reply to
Bobk207

An impact gun makes all the difference in the world. I recently acquired a DeWalt. If there is any drawback it would be that it does not have a chuck and requires the Apex type hex drive stuff. Other than that, it is the tool of choice that comes out of the truck.

Reply to
DanG

I prefer an impact driver and torx head screws. However, I have driven thousands of screws up to 4" with a regular cordless drill and phillips tips and no pilot hole. If you are having problems with cam out, it is because you have the wrong tip, a worn tip, you are not aligning the driver with the screw, or you are not using enough pressure on the drill.

Reply to
marson

Or not driving fast enough. It is hard to stay with my Milwaukee at full bore (2,500 RPM as I recall), but it will drive Phillips head screws without cam out if you push hard and pull the trigger fully. If you get tentative, then you have trouble. However, if you "go for it" each time, it will drive deck screws into treated lumber with little trouble.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Reply to
Craig M

A side handle helps greatly with both alignment (holding the driver square) and with stability, too.

Other posts have suggested an impact driver! That's one that I never would have considered, but after reading this thread I'm going to give it a try some day.

Reply to
PeterD

Reply to
jloomis

JL:

I'm missing something on the "pre-cutting" of the screw head. Your enlightenment would be appreciated. Everything else concurs with my findings. Thanks.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

I think what he means is a self cutting point. Best thing since sliced bread.

Reply to
marson

M:

Ah, that is what I thought. Thank you.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

Odd question the way its phrased. Screws have different type of heads. Each takes a different fitting for a power driven tool. Is the fitting the tool?

Was bending, sometimes breaking, stainless steel deck screws with torx head. Found some stainless steel screws with a hex head, same results. Found some screws (unknown material, dull brass color) with a square head fitting, came with bit. Didn't bend or break. Screwed in great.

Dave

Reply to
Dioclese

i use a brace--never let me down