Construction Loan Question

I currently have land under agreement and I am planning to build a duplex. I would prefer to have a single loan for both - land and construction. Do banks usually require a building permit in order to close on the land? If they do I may have to buy land separately as I don't have enough time to get the permits prior to closing.
Thanks Art
I recieved my loan without a permit. Lou