concrete shower

------------------------------------- I have to make a concrete shower for a customer next month.actually tearing out an existing bath tub with shower surround, and putting in just a shower. Im sure im going to use cement board for the new panels, but im not sure if i should cover them with something like fossil crete or flex-c-ment, or if I should use a stencil overlay system. they want it to look like square tiles on the inside, and rock/stone on the outside wall. any suggestions are appreciated
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.building.construction - 15063 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
Add pictures here
✖

Why not use a waterproofing membrane like "Kerdi" on the walls and floor with the associated Kerdi drain. Then you could apply any kind of tile you wish to the inside wall. For the outside you could find tiles with a stone look, apply flagstone, or cultured stone.
Anthony
Add pictures here
✖

Where I live we would use Hardibacker board or Wedi board. Tile them with whatever you want. Not sure I would use fossilcrete though. Is it rated for a shower? What about Indian fossil stone? Perhaps take the customer to the stone yard and let them select. They would need sealing like Travertine.
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 2, 4:48 pm, "Cwatters"

What are you going to use for the floor a store bought pan or mud?
Add pictures here
✖

I used Hardibacker for my shower too. It's a bit lighter than cement board, and cuts cleaner.

Unless you have a standard sized shower area, or want to splurge on a copper pan, it's fairly easy to slope a mortar bed for a Kerdi membrane. I did our 6'x6' shower that way and had no problems.
Anthony
Add pictures here
✖
could you post some pics of that shower, love to see it, 6x6 is nice size, wanted to go that big, but was too costly at the time for us.

Add pictures here
✖

I'll go one better, check out my old shower building thread on the John Bridge forum at:
http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t 876
I have full step-by-step photo's there, along with my goofs and fixes along the way.
Anthony
Add pictures here
✖