Boarding some of the loft

Hi all

I have just had 270mm of loft insulation fitted but want to put back about 6 loft boards for storage purposes. With the insulation being so high now I cannot see the joists without removing some of the insualtion. Is it okay to pull back some insulation and put the boards onto the joists with 100mm insulation between them or should I do something completely different? Any help would be much appreciated.

Reply to
Newbie

You should build up the joists to create a higher floor surface. You can screw some 2x4s (50x100s for the non-metric impaired) on edge, to the top of the joists and attach your planks to the 2x4s. The insulation under the planks will be compressed a bit, but that's not a big issue in this situation. You may want to install some 2x4 blocking running perpendicularly to the joists between the new 2x4s to keep them from rolling under load (also probably not a big issue).

RicodJour

What he said, make a raised platform to maintain the thickness of insulation.

Don't forget to insulate the loft hatch.

Reply to
Cwatters