Best railing height for old-fashioned-looking front porch (WAS: Okay to have different window styles?)

Page 2 of 2
Ok ... here's pics of my design ... I obviously prefer rustic. The balcony railing is 42" high ... that's the code here for a 2nd story, and the lower railing is 36" high, again by the code. The thing about the design is that by having that 6" wide beer shelf, er, top rail, the railing has the illusion of being not so high. And speaking of high, I find that after a few beers, placing them consistently on the railing, gets more difficult. That 6" wide shelf, er, rail, ensures that no beers acidentally go over the side ... and that's what I call drinking responsibly :-)
The pics ... http://ca.geocities.com/ snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com/
that link didn't work for me -- is the @ in the address right? bowgus wrote:

I take photos of porch railings when I see great historic examples. My experience has shown me that the stock railings seem to be spindly-looking. Perhaps modern methods require manufacturing the railings to be thinner.
About the link ... links appear to me with a series of dots in the middle. I have to click on those, and answer a skill testing question :-) in order for the link to appear in full (am I interested in finding out more about that? Not right now).

HEY! A built-in snack-dish/chip-bowl area and towel-hanger (for hot days) conveniently located right under the beer shelf! Cool =:-D !