10" tread boards okay for staircase?

Page 2 of 3

FWLIW, I didn't like it, got the latest version that was out about a year ago. I hate the texturing job it does, the lighting isn't worth the bother, and it isn't as easily "automatic" as the side panels would have one believe, if one is doing something that's a bit unusual or complex. I ended up just sticking with my 3D modeling software. ((Yeah, know - one of these days, I really *will* get some stuff re- rendered and on-line, at least the files that my computer didn't chew up =:-o )) If you have to do a lot fo it, as with anything else, you develop a system that speeds things up.
Hmm, maybe I should try to sell my copy, since I don't use it <L!>
Sorry. A guy I know was using it, and they no longer sell what he had. I found another similar product, but it wasn't the same. I wanted the 3D Home Architect software because it was quick and easy and I already knew how to use it, and I knew that it could do exactly what I needed. I'm happy to pay for intellectual property if the cost is reasonable and the product is available in a convenient manner. If not, there's always my old friend BitTorrent. Likewise, I don't know when the record companies and movie companies are going to wise up. If they had an enormous catalog of music available online (like is available via BitTorrent) and the cost was only $0.25 track, I would never consider BitTorrent. And if I could download a movie for $2.00 or a TV episode for $0.25, again, BitTorrent would be unneccessary. But these companies ignore customer satisfaction at their peril.
- John
Don wrote:

I see nothing there to argue about. 'cept, you owe me no apology.

snipped-for-privacy@vieth.info wrote in

had.
the
I've heard of bittorrent - but what *is* it?

had
Kris Krieger wrote:

Go to Wikipedia.org and search for BitTorrent. My favorite BitTorrent client software is uTorrent. Not all content on the BitTorrent network(s) is illegal, too, by the way.
- John
Kris Krieger wrote:

already
needed.
reasonable
there's
via
consider
episode
scored
Kris Krieger wrote:

Yeah, other users can access your files, but only in the one folder that you designate. And as soon as I'm done downloading a file(s), I remove everything from that folder so it's always empty, and I shut down the BitTorrent client. So people can only download from me whatever it is I'm in the process of downloading, and only for a very short time until I remove it and shut down my client. BitTorrent is built on the premise of sharing, hence the access to this shared directory. They're trying to distribute the sharing as broadly as possible--that's by design. There's absolutely *no* practical way that anyone can access your system beyond your shared folder, assuming you're using a reputable BitTorrent client.
It's reasonably safe.
- John
Kris Krieger wrote:

Do you know what an *open port* on your machine means? If you allow files to enter your machine, you have an open port. Open ports allow duplex traffic, that is, stuff flows both ways. Try this: Try to use bit torrent with Norton running and see what happens. The thing that makes bit torrent risky is that its happening in real time and there is no way to stop an evil deed. Downloading files from a newsgroup, which is my preferred method, deals with static files. If you play with BT long enough you will get burned, bad.
snipped-for-privacy@vieth.info wrote in

he
wanted
they
"Kris Krieger"

It's cool, free, libre and open source.

????
Done! Here's the latest version.
http://www.mynewoldhouse.com/house/images/SecondStoryFix.gif
Thanks. I missed that. But clearly we want it to swing the way you recommended. Good catch.
- John
jojo wrote:

Sasquatch wrote:

Guy's and Gal's, I dislike bi-fold doors. Sure they could save a bit swing space but at the expense of running over a toe, I've used them but only as a last resort, oh and the're finger pinchers too. I'd go sliders, either a pair of mirrors, or nice looking stuff, and if you need to completely open a closet, use accordions or an attractive curtain. I used a curtain with a soft red light in a wide closet, makes a nice warm glow and is ideal as a night light, so you can get up and pee. Ken
I agree. I like sliders, too. My wife doesn't, though. She says you end up with wasted closet space in the middle where the two doors overlap. I'm thinking you might miss 4" of closet space, which can easily be accessed with a reach-around. (Please, this is a family show.) What can I tell her to convince her? I think bi-folds look cheap, and sliding doors feel more substantial.
- John
Ken S. Tucker wrote:

Sasquatch wrote:

Say Sasy, [sasy]... Off hand John, I'm part twinky and have some affinity with the ergonometics of interior design. Front-end, I'd buy time with curtains, instead of wasting money on bi-folds. I even think a curtain is as good or better than an unforgiving bi-fold, and serves the same purpose, even better. The bi-fold is harsh, I'd go the curtain, as it is soft and forgiving, easier to move too. Ken
"Ken S. Tucker"> wrote

OK, I gotta ask: Whats the *purpose* of a curtain on a closet?
Don wrote:

That's for my wife to hide her boyfriend when I come home early, what does your's do? Ken

That reminds me of a Gene Tracy joke.... "Bells"
"Ken S. Tucker"> wrote

She requires that her boyfriend bring his wife, of course!

To hide the interior when you have to stuff all of your, um, er, questionable literature and comic books and so on into the closets because of visitors...