What laundry do you wash in hot water?

Page 1 of 2
I currently only wash sheets and bedding in hot water
Everything lese in cold water
Is there any reason to wash other thing in hot water such as underwear, towels, etc?
Do such items need the hot water to kill any germs?
What do you wash in hot water?
On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 11:04:46 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Nothing. I will do a hot water wash when a family member has been ill, but that's it.
Nan

Not even bedding?
You are supposed to wash bedding in hot water to kill dust mites
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

The EPA says it takes 12 minutes at 127 F to kill dust mites. I don't know if that kills the eggs, which stick.
The University of Nebraska says laundering at 77 F, which is pretty cold, will remove most dustmite allergens. They say the first line of defense is a vacuum cleaner with a good filter. They say a water filter is best. (I wonder what that is.) Steaming with a dry steamer, then vacuuming, is especially effective.
Dust mites grow best when it's above 75 F and above 70% humidity. Those conditions are most likely to exist in a bed. Special covers for mattresses and pillows can make a big difference. . *** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com *** *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from http://www.SecureIX.com ***

Interesting!
I didn't know abt the vacuum thing
On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 14:17:39 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

The rate that I change my bedding would probably shock you, but I'll say I don't worry about dust mites. I wash bedding in cold water and it seems sufficient.
Nan
Nan wrote:

My sheets are not classed as whites - I use a 40c wash on them and I'm not too fussy about changing them overfrequently. My machine decides the temperature, some programmes will only take in hot, some only cold. Certain fabrics should be rinsed in warm. If you were ever married to a marine you would know their dress uniforms should be washed and rinsed in warm water. So how often do you change your sheets dear?

weekly

Oh, I strive for at least once a month, min. Like I said, I don't worry about dust mites ;-)
Nan

mind you, that was in 1987 or so. i'm much better about it now i'm a proper grown-up. now i aim for weekly, which means it's never longer than about 3 weeks... kylie

Hehehe, you know me too well <G>
Nan
On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 14:17:39 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Won't the dryer do that?
I don't wash anything in hot. -- Piper
On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 14:17:39 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

the dryer is probably hotter than the washer will ever be

snipped-for-privacy@myrealbox.com wrote:

Agree
But do you think that washing sheets in cold water and then drying in a hot dryer will kill the dust mites as well as hot water washing and hot drying?
If yes.... I will quit washing even sheets in hot water as I always dry them in a dryer.
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Yes, besides the heat, humidity below 40% kills dust mites. I wonder what kills the eggs.

OK good news
I will wash EVERYTHING in cold water than
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Some detergents contain enzymes. They work best around body temperature, like a bath tub.
One drawback of Oxiclean is that it works best in very hot water.
Hot water may get whites whiter, but I'm usually satisfied with warm.

Not even bedding?
You are supposed to wash bedding in hot water to kill dust mites

then why are you asking if you've already decided?!
i don't wash anything in hot water. kylie
On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 11:04:46 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Sheets, towels, kitchen towels, underwear, white socks get washed in hot water. Sometimes a very dirty item such as jeans will be washed in hot water. Hot water cleans better. However, there are stains that may set in hot water. Soapy water kills (most) germs.