What causes dust?

We are always cleaning dust out of our house but it accumulates rapidly. What exactly causes this? We take off our shoes when we come in and hang our blankets outside constantly to air them. we have drop ceiling so I was thinking perhaps it was due to particles from this.
Any thoughts.
OK to reply to this email.

I've read that a large part of house dust is actually shed dead skin cells of the people (and pets) that live there.
--
jamie ( snipped-for-privacy@newsguy.com)

"There's a seeker born every minute."
On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 05:27:22 -0500, "Default User"

Sofas, pillows, rugs, carpeting, or any fabrics will produce dust. People and pets shed their skin. Electric vacuums are notorious for making the dust airborne. Replace/clean your furnace filter monthly and keep your humidity at 50%. A carpet beater will help.
Not sure how others order their cleaning chores, but I dust a few hours *after* vacuuming. I now dust every three weeks, vacuum twice a week. I use washable electrostatic furnace filters and noticed a lot less dust in the house, and no longer need to dust once a week. One exception is the spring, when the trees are in bloom and leave pollen everywhere (east TN).

Far enough east, to know where Johnson City is? Michael Whatever it takes.
On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 19:23:26 -0500, Michael A. Ball

Johnson City is about 70 miles from here. Then you can relate to the bright yellow (pollen) coating the covers just about everything in the spring. So strange (moving from S.California) I first thought it was paint.