Wedding Shoes

I need advice on how to clean a pair of wedding shoes. Only worn for one special day but they look extremely scuffed and dirty. I believe the bride was walking by the lakeside of the wedding venue on wet gravel for the photo shoot and despite my advice to wear overshoes or plastic bags to protect the delicate fabric she chose not to and I fear she has ruined the shoes. Now she has turned to me for advice on rectifying the problem. They are an ivory satin type of shoe. Any suggestions welcome

Reply to
Mrs Bonk

I probably need more information here or actually see the shoe. For fabric, brush off as much of the dirt as possible using a soft brush, an old toothbrush will do. If the shoe is fabric, use an upholstery foam cleaner(in a pressurized can) per instruction on the package. You can find upholstery cleaners in the automotive section. For a shiny leather, use a cleaner such as 409 or diluted household ammonia, rinse, then buff with a soft cloth and a small dab of petroleum jelly (don't use this on fabric). To restore leather bottoms, use 220 grit sandpaper, just enough to remove any shiny areas. Rubber soles can be cleaned with acetone. If the shoes has laces, remove these, hand wash, and dry. HTH

Reply to
Phisherman

Thank you SO much Phish dear. The shoes are a type of satin fabric and I am going to attempt the clean as per your advice using a foam cleaner.

Reply to
Mrs Bonk