Unfinished hardwood floor

Page 1 of 2
The woman who used to live here never cleaned the floor, she'd just vacuum and apply Murphy's Oil. This 20+ y/o hardwood floor isn't in very good shape. There are marks, scratches and discolorations all over and I made things even worse by moping it with a Lysol solution (trying to sanitize it) and now I have some of the floor with some luster from all those years of Murphy's oil and a very visible part of it it's dull and a shade or two lighter because of my bright Lysol idea...
Because of its location, I can't hide the mess with an area rug and finishing the floor isn't an option right now so I need to know:
How do I effectively clean this floor without damaging it?
How do hide the discolorations caused by doors rubbing against the floor?
Is there a product I can use on both the part I "treated" with Lysol and the rest of the floor so that the whole floor looks the same color and, hopefully, will add some luster as well?
Turandot wrote:

I agre with what the other poster said about sanding the floor down and refinishing it well with a satin-finish polyurethane finish followed by waxing. We have hardwood floors and that's what we did.
--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa
Sorry but I missed the original post on this subject.
I'm chiming in only because of the diversity of responses I have seen to whatever the original question was.
I have also seen a comment or two by those in the wood floor industry that actually made me cringe when I read them.
There are only two basic types of floor finishes and all finishes fall under these two categories.
They are, Surface finishes, and Penetrating finishes.
Almost all of the finishes in use today fall under the Surface Finish category and include everything from wax to the newer polyurethane finishes. Shellac, Varnish, Lacquer, etc. are all surface finishes.
Surface finishes are just that, a thin film protectant OVER the wood surface, that will wear off, flake off, peel off, become thin, and sometimes even crackle or alligator if applied too heavily.
The other type of finish is a penetrant, such as good quality penetrating oil or tung oil. These types of finishes are absorbed into the wood and actually make the wood harder.
Back when I was a youngster (and before), most commercial building with hardwood floors used nothing but penetrating type oils, because they clean up easily and do not wear off to the point the wood becomes quickly damaged in high traffic areas. Oiled floors have a more rustic appearance to them than glossy finished floors, but oil floors can be buffed to a nice satin finish if one wants to put that much work into them.
My first two houses used the conventional Surface Finish techniques. I had to be very careful to protect this wood finish, especially around my desk and other high use areas. Even polyurethane will wear off very quickly if you spend much time sitting at a desk in a home office. Even with continual monthly waxing, raising 4 kids, 5 dogs and a managerie of other animals, surface finishes were an expensive nightmare to keep up.
Before I moved into an older but modern home, the first thing I did was have that nice new surface finish sanded off and had all of the floors heavily oiled with tung oil. Then about once every three years after that, we would deep clean the floors and apply another coat of tung oil onto them while the kids were away at camp or elsewhere.
After the second treatment of oil, we could then simply mop our floors like they were linoleum or vinyl without fear of ever hurting them. An animal may use a throw rug as a waste station and it would go unnoticed, yet when discovered, there was NEVER a black mark left behind as evidence of their watering the carpet.
Some times the old ways are better! I will NEVER have a bothersome surface finished floor again. An oiled floor is the only way to go, if you want a maintenance free, easy care floor, that looks great year in and year out. Even at the most used door in the house!
TTUL Gary
On 10 Jan 2004 09:30:49 EST, snipped-for-privacy@bbs.galilei.com.nospam (Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.) wrote:

I've never heard of Tung oil. Does it colour or darken the wood? How do you 'deep clean' a wooden floor?
Hi Dawn
Tung oil as been around for centuries, it is an oil that dries like Danish Oil or Linseed Oil. An example of a non-drying oil would be Lemon Oil. For floor finishing, you only want to use an oil that dries.
Today you can get penetrating oils, like Tung Oil, in almost every shade imaginable and perfectly clear non-yellowing as well.
New floors require sanding and cleaning before being sealed with a penetrating oil, TSP is good for this. But the deep cleaning I was referring to was doing a really bang up cleaning job on the floor before reoiling, so as not to harded dirt into the new finish. I usually use mineral spirits on the whole floor, and sometimes turpentine or paint thinner in the main walk areas to get them really clean. Then I follow up with a rinse of hot water and mild dish detergent like Ivory. In fact, that's what we use for everyday cleaning of the floors, is dish detergent and hot water.
Because penetrating oils do dry, you can build them up and get a glossy shine, but it doesn't look as natural as the normal satin finish.
TTUL Gary
On 11 Jan 2004 09:54:21 EST, snipped-for-privacy@bbs.galilei.com.nospam (Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.) wrote:

I am with you now. It's the stuff we do the wooden window sills with every year.

Thanks Gary. Lovely post again!

Careful, Honey. I'm not saying Gary is the gigolo who led Cindi astray, but she did she he was a smooth talker. Is it just a coincidence that Gary uses tung oil?
--
Barbecue Bob serving family-style roast bunny
at convenient restaurants

Gary and Cindi? I don't believe a word. You are trying to blacken dear Gary's name in the hope Dawn will stop pestering him and then you can try sweet talking her.
Hi Mrs. Bonk
Everyone missed their chance a couple of years ago!
I'm remarried again, to the most wonderful gal, a cute little southern belle whom I met on-line.
Plucked her right out of the Okra patch and drug her to the big city. Then, I guess, turn about is fair play, she hauled me back out to the stix, where you have to check your gas guage before going anywhere.
We now live at the foot of the Smoky Mountains. Beautiful Country!
TTUL Gary
snipped-for-privacy@bbs.galilei.com.nospam (Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.) wrote in message

I am so pleased for you dear Gary I hope Cindi and Dawn aren't too disappointed. Have you thought of writing for Mills and Boon?
snipped-for-privacy@cutey.com (Mrs Bonk) verbositized:

Nope, just sitting here on the front porch with Eb & Zeek watching the grass grow. And we DID get Master Card to help simplify our hectic lives!
Trouble is, most of the local stores here only take pigs or chickens for services rendered or products purchased.;)
The local grocer tallies up your order on the outside of a brown paper bag, then jots it down on a little pad, one for each customer, which he keeps in a rack by the checkout counter.;)
Since it's winter, if you bring in a log or two and drop them down in the rack by the pot belly stove, he adds a credit to your little pad for them. Unless of course you wake up his dog while doing so, then his wife chases you out of the store with her broom.;)
I may have exaggerated just a tad, but not by much, hi hi.....
TTUL Gary
snipped-for-privacy@cutey.com (Mrs Bonk) wrote in message wrote:

Mrs. Bonk, would you please wake up and smell the whiskey? His neighbors in Knoxville may know him as good old Gary, but in professional circles, he's known as Phisherman, Phisher of Women.
Moonshiners get blamed because the Smoky Mountains are so smokey and the trees are dying. It's not our fault. It's chlorine gas.
Think about this. The last time we heard from Cindi, she was telling Phish she was going to mix up a batch of bleach and vinegar as he recommended.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Homer Brewer) wrote in message wrote:

You've been drinking again Homer!

so we have more than one Gigolo Gary? How nice for me!

Oh No!
On 14 Jan 2004 04:25:42 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@cutey.com (Mrs Bonk) wrote:

W H A T??? I don't believe this Pestering Gary indeed !!!!
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Homer Brewer) verbositized:

Is it MY fault that I wore out 3 of em and am working on number 4?
And that was a mixture of Bleach and Ammonia intended for Bar Be Que Boob's!
TTUL Gary
snipped-for-privacy@bbs.galilei.com.nospam (Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.) wrote:

Are you the one who taught Cindi to call me that? When she came begging me for a job, I told her she'd have to clean up her act. She's a lot more refined than she used to be.
Speaking of refined, we use the finest grade flax oil in our award-winning chef's salad. In the event of an oil spill, we throw down sawdust, which is subsequently spread in the dining room, then swept up. This maintains a beautiful oil finish and keeps the floor clean enough to eat from.
--
Barbecue Bob serving family-style roast bunny
at convenient restaurants

Well written post. Just one quibble. Penetrating finishes do not make the wood noticeably harder. I'm going by the results of tests by some nationally recognized experts in the field.
Hi Baron
Pine and fir, softwoods, were the most common flooring material used in pre 1900's buildings, warehouses, stores, shops and saloons.
Unfinished pine or fir for that matter will not last very long in a high traffic area. But oiled wood lasts for centuries without much wear if it is maintained properly by reoiling every year in these instances.
Whether it is technically correct to say, it makes the wood harder, may be a misstatement.
The oil fills the pores of the wood, dries and as such, makes MORE surface to have to wear away.
So perhaps it literally does not make the wood itself harder, but it does fill in the pores making the wood less susceptable to wear and damage.
A sponge soaked in cement and allowed to cure will wear a lot longer than the original sponge, who's properties never physically changed. But I would rather be hit with a regular sponge, than one impregnated with concrete, because the impact would be much harder on my old bean.
TTUL Gary
snipped-for-privacy@bbs.galilei.com.nospam (Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.) wrote:

Hear hear! Twenty years ago, I house-sat for my sister and her husband while they vacationed in Europe. I had to keep my motorcycle in the living room because they forgot to tell me where they kept the garage-door opener.
When they got back they made a couple of snobby remarks about the oil spots, but within a year she had oiled the whole carpet. It's been trouble-free ever since.
--
Best Regards,
Lloyd

I agree with almost everything you have said. We have an old home, and over the years I have refinished almost all of the hardwood floors, one or two rooms at a time (a better plan would have been to do the whole house before moving in). The first room I put polyurethane on, and it has not held up well at all. That was perhaps 25 years ago and maybe more modern polyurethanes last better, but still that room will have to be redone. I did use a waterbased urethane on the stairs, as it was recommended as lasting and not being slippery, and it has held up well for about five years. In the remaining rooms I used the Duraseal penetrating finish, which comes in different hues, and it has worked really well. I initially got it because the place I rented the sander also sold this finish. That place is now out of business, and it is hard to find the Duraseal products (I think they like to sell to the trade, rather than the public), but if you can find that product it is really worth the search, and the penetrating finish seems to last and look good. They do recommend waxing for additional protection and looks.
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr. wrote:

there.