Tumeric stains on counter top

What is the best way to remove tumeric stains from a kitchen counter top.
I hesitate to use cleanser, because that might create a porous surface, making the counter top more vulnerable to future stains and bacteria retention.
- David
On Sat, 20 May 2006 03:29:34 -0400, "David D."

Household bleach. Since I don't know the composition of your kitchen countertop, test first and use with caution. OxiClean might work too. I have used auto rubbing compound (fine cut) on kitchen countertops and polished it using an auto buffer. This will take out most stains and scratches but it takes some practice and patience.
Try vinegar. Vinegar is an awesome cleaner.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try the vinegar first, since that is the safest and simplest approach.
- David