Shower Glass

Help anyone. We used Tilex shower cleaner after each shower as directions stated. Now we have film residue that will not come off. We used regular Tilex, and every other common cleaner we can find. Film will not come off glass. Ideas? Thanks

Reply to
Larry Miller

That seems to be the nature of glass shower enclosures. You can try to steam clean it. Another option would be the Mr. Clean eraser. I don't think there is any way to keep glass in like-new condition.

Reply to
Vox Humana

"Vox Humana" wrote in news:eZ5xd.45$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.columbus.rr.com:

Something similar... In one of our bathrooms we had a very large mirror over a double vanity that remained smeary and filmy no matter what type of cleaner we used. In fact, it seemed to only get worse with cleaning. We finally used a steam cleaner on it with a cloth-covered tool. It removed every trace.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Will rubbing alcohol work on the soap scum?

Just a thought.

Helen C

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Reply to
Helen C

No problem. Use baking soda and a very worn nylon pad--or a new pad that's unusually soft (and they are out there).

The baking soda won't scratch the glass and the porous nylon pad doesn't promote caking up of the scum as its removed.

Detergent? Hmm. A couple of drops of whatever shampoo is handy--just for the scent.

Michael Zildjian: world class cymbal of excellence.

Reply to
Michael A. Ball

then Vox Humana wrote That seems to be the nature of glass shower enclosures. You can try to steam clean it. Another option would be the Mr. Clean eraser. I don't think there is any way to keep glass in like-new condition.

I have tried many things for my glass shower door. Mr. Clean eraser has worked out the best. I love that thing.

Reply to
Bonnie Jean

If only they weren't so expensive. I have a $1 off coupon and I am waiting for super double coupons to use it. They had a deal for a free one and the coupon at their website. If you can't find it let me know.

Reply to
Vox Humana

If only they weren't so expensive. I have a $1 off coupon and I am waiting for super double coupons to use it. They had a deal for a free one and the coupon at their website. If you can't find it let me know.

I get them at Walmart where they are much less expensive than at the supermarket. Still pricey though.

Reply to
Bonnie Jean

Baking soda is dandy for my soap scum, too. I add table salt for more abrasion and a little water to make a paste. I rub with my fingers or an old sock.

My shower doesn't have glass, but on mirrors, windows, and my windshield, I have found that newsprint will remove tough films if I use a couple of drops of fluid made with 1 part vinegar, 2 parts ammonia, 8 parts water. Squeak squeak!

Sincerely, Choreboy

Reply to
Choreboy

When we got a new shower door, it came with directions to clean it with Comet spray cleaner. That has kept it clean. No soap scum or hard water deposits. We also got a new water softener about the same time so it's not clear which helped the most. We live in an area where those calcium/lime deposits build up along with soap scum and it's hard to tell which is which.

Reply to
Dorot29701

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 19:52:47 -0500, "Larry Miller" graced this newsgroup with:

Try Shout stain remover. The kind that comes in a bottle that you spray on clothes (not the stick kind). Spray on and let sit for 3 or

4 minutes then using a sponge and clean water, rinse off.

I don't know what's in Shout, but it works *extremely* well in getting soap scum/residue off with little or no effort. Works very well on shower faucets and handles to get them sparking as well.

And it smells nice too! ;-)

Reply to
Anonymous

the white film you are seeing is probably mineral deposits/oils and hard soaps created by the minerals in the water

i would try white vinegar--reason is that the acetic acid (vinegar) will react with the minerals and form soulkble salts--

if this does not work see if you can get a samm amount of muriatic acid ( this is hydrochloric acid)--desolve a small amout in ( say 1 oz) in a quart of water and apply it--you may want to think of using gloves and watch your eyes--rinse well--you might be able to get a small amout of muriatic acid from a builder or mason supply--i susspect there are tile cleaners that have a high acidity---see if there are any tile cleaners you can get--no need for abrasives scouring powders for example at all

hth

peter

Reply to
ilaboo

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 01:53:50 GMT, ilaboo graced this newsgroup with:

just use a bottle of Spray and Wash. Spray on and then wipe with sponge.

Reply to
bounce

I have been using dandruff shampoo on our shower glass door. There was a post in this newsgroup that recommended dandruff shampoo (dollar store quality) for tiles and shower glass - it works great! and smells nice too!

Reply to
v quan