Re: Deodorant Stains

My deodorant is staining come of my darker business shirts that I wear.

> Other than changing my deodorant, what can I do to remove the white stain it > has left on many of my shirts. I once read that soaking the shirt in > vinegar then washing regularly should remove it? Recommendations anyone? > >

(As an aside) Does anyone else here think that anonymous posting asking for help is a bit rude?

Anyway,

The best thing you can do is to change your deodorant as this one is cleanrly reacting poorly with your bodily secretions. Generally sticks and roll-ons are better than sprays.

Here's what you need to treat your current stain:

1.. Glycerin and Water (1 part Glycerin to 4 parts Water) 2.. Ammonia (20% solution) 3.. Acetic Acid (25% solution) white vinegar may substitute 4.. Hydrogen Peroxide

and here's what you do:

Add the first treatment with a dropper or spoon and tamp well into the stain. Flush away using a spray as close as possible with absorbent cloths underneath and then dry by holding more absorbent cloths on the stained area. Add the ammonia using the same method then tamp, flush and dry once more. Before adding the acid solution make sure you have flushed away the ammonia otherwise one will neutralise the other. Add the acid and repeat the procedures for the ammonia. Finally if any staining remains add hydrogen peroxide and wait for a reaction. Wash the garment in the normal way.

Hope this helps.

-- DrClean

The Best Fabric Cleaning Resource on the Web

Reply to
DrClean

Thanks for your reply.

I currently use a roll-on. Part of the problem is that when the deodorant has just been applied, any contact with the shirt will leave a white stain. I guess this can be avoided by waiting until the deodorant is dry, but this is only part of the problem. After a long day, staining still occurs under the shirt arms.

Will the process you described work on old stains (ie. greater than a month?)

Thanks.

Reply to
Cosmos