Necessities only?

I'm making an attempt to cut down the clutter and avoid all the disasters in the house that currently exist...

Family with young kids (DD-13m, DS-5.5y, DS-6.5y, new baby expected October) Currently, DS1 (6.5y) is with us on occasion.

What would you say are the necessities only as far as each room goes? The rooms we have are:

Upstairs = Master bedroom DD's nursery DS's bedroom Bathroom

Main floor = Kitchen/dining room Living room (which is actually the computer room)

Basement = Laundry room/storage Living room/toy room

We have also a fenced in back yard.

I seriously need to get rid of the unnecessary junk - especially since I'm going to have to accommodate another baby without a spare bedroom.

This is what I have going on so far... Master bedroom: King sized bed, 1 end table, 2 dressers, hope chest, TV stand/TV DD's nursery: Crib, 1 dresser, change table, fish tank on stand, blanket shelf thing, rocking chair, box of some toys DS's bedroom: Loft bed with desk, drawers, book case under it, large sized toy box - over filled, for sure Bathroom: Well, it's a bathroom... Not much can change for that... Kitching/dining room: Pantry cupboard (free-standing), portable dishwasher, table with 1 long bench seat, 1 smaller bench seat, 2 chairs and high chair, small deep freezer (plus stove, fridge, cupboards, standard stuff) Living room/computer room thing; Computer desk, large fish tank, upright piano, toy box, small fish tank using a larger fish tank as a stand, fair amount of house plants - a few on the floor, lots on the piano, a few on a shelf. Laundry room: Washer, dryer, wardrobe closet thing for out of season clothing, 2 baby cribs piled in the corner, boxes and boxes of toys, laundry sink, I don't even know what! Living room/toy room (in basement): 2 sofas (1 is a hide-a-bed), 1 recliner,

1 sofa chair, 2 large computer desks (yes, taking up space), TV wall unit, toy train table, large chinchilla cage, coffee table.

Do I simply have just way too much stuff? Does it sound like overkill? I didn't even mention all the junk in between, as I don't even know what's there! I guess I'm just looking for any tips and ideas on what is actually necessary as opposed to what is useless and not needed. Lately, I've been tempted to haul every item out of this house, toss it in the back yard and put signs up for a free 'garage' sale where anyone and everyone can take EVERYTHING away. I think I run into the most problems with the toys and the stuff in the kitchen... Arg, I know this probably is hard to follow or understand, but any suggestions anyways?

Reply to
xkatx

Hi kat, you might try posting over at alt.recovery.clutter They always seem to have some great ideas :-)

Nan

Reply to
Nan

Thanks Nan! I'm going to search for that right now and drop it over there :D

Reply to
xkatx