?? Laundering sheep skin rug question ??

I have one of those irregular shaped sheep skin rugs. It is a mess, matted, dirty, etc.. How do I wash it. I was told that it can be done in clothes washing machine, but I was told what to use as a detergent or soap, or a fabric softener, how to dry it. So, how do I wash it?
Greetings!
Just took my "dead sheep" out of my washer/dryer. We've been washing it for years. I have a client that has been washing her son's "dead sheep" for twenty years now. VERY IMPORTANT
1) Launder if dirty 2) softener if needed
These things are durable.... God made them to keep sheep guts in, and wolf teeth out.
You could always hire a local teen, just learning how to do the wash. They are cheap, and worth every penny..
J.Jay
: I have one of those irregular shaped sheep skin rugs. It is a mess, matted, : dirty, etc.. : How do I wash it. I was told that it can be done in clothes washing machine, : but I was told what to use as a detergent or soap, or a fabric softener, how to : dry it. : So, how do I wash it? : :
<< Just took my "dead sheep" out of my washer/dryer. >>
____Reply Separator_____
OK, I just took mine out of the dryer. It's cleaner and yellow!
How do I whiten it again?

You just found out that it wasn't washable. You can only bleach the wool - but the potential for damage is high both with the leather and the wool.
-- DrClean www.DrClean.co.uk The Best Fabric Cleaning Resource on the Web

matted,
machine,
how to

They are not ALL washable. It depends on the tanning for one thing. Sometimes they fall apart, sometimes after drying then can go yellow.