ironing a hat

If this is OT I apologize, and maybe someone could tell me a better group. I couldn't find good search terms so I couldn't find anthing on the web.
I have two felt hats, sort of like Indiana Jones wears. One I bought new at an army-navy store, to wear in the rain, but I liked it so much, I didnt' want to get it wet, and the other I bought verry cheaply at a rummage sale. I wear it whenever it rains.
Partly because of rain and partly because I didn't take care to place them away from other things, the brims have gotten wavy, in some places in an unattractive way, little wrinkles followed by big wrinkles, etc.
A: Does this make me look sloppy, tough, or intimidating? :)
B: How would you get rid of the wrinkles in the brim?
1) I could use a steam iron. 2) I could dampen it with hot water and press between rolled towels or something?? like that. How hot should the water be? How wet should I get it?
Do I have to worry about the up-curl near the edge, or will that reappear automatically.
Thanks
If you are inclined to email me for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)
A google search on felt hat care turned up some information. One company offered an expensive steaming processing.
When we wore hats with veils, about a thousand years ago, when they got tacky looking, we ironed them on a piece of wax paper. I don't even know if that product is sold any more. The melted wax was enough to give a starch effect to the veil.
Steam ironing and carefully supporting it for drying might take some of the waves out of the brim.
Joan

purpose. You put it in the spout of a tea kettle and boil the water. When you hold part of the hat in the jet of steam, it will be easy to shape. In a few minutes it will stiffen.
Until next time, Marcey
This steaming thing sounds great. I was trying to wait until I tried it, but that may take days or weeks. Thanks, and thanks Jes also.
On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 01:29:00 +0000 (UTC), Marcia Pease

If you are inclined to email me for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)